frustrating... it can be frustrating...

the other day I was talking to someone...
I can not recall who it was... I can not recall where it was
in fact... I can hardly recall the gist of things
but... I can recall my frustration
often it can be frustrating

I think that we were discussing the transition from Adrian Fenty to Vince Gray as Mayor of Washington DC
we may have also been talking about the removal of Gabe Klein as the Director of DC's Department of Transportation
all of which brought about the topic of bikes... bike lanes... and the bike share programs

now... this conversation should be a fun conversation
as these are exciting times
all over the United States... in fact... all over the world people are working to try and lessen the negative effects of car dependency
people are working to inspire people to walk more and ride their bicycles more

what was interesting... and what was frustrating about this conversation was that this person seemed to thing that the idea of bike share and the placement of bike lanes was something that was only happening in the DC area
they had no idea that this was happening simultaneously all over the globe

I tried to express that this is a pet topic of mine
I tried to point out that I read on the topic and have been reading on this topic
yet they held their ground...
so often when I am at a party or in a social situation I have little tolerance for the conversations going on around me
so often people are talking about something and basing their ideas off what information they each possess
when really... ONE OF THEM MUST POSSESS A SMART PHONE WITH THE TECHNOLOGY TO RESOLVE A DISAGREEMENT OR FIND A MORE SOUND idea to support their notion

my opportunity to travel in my life is limited
but... in my limited travel experience I have witnessed these changes
more bikes... lots more bikes... people of all ages on bikes
and bike lanes
bike lanes where bike lanes were not before

my GOOGLE ALERTS send me emails each day supporting my point
my limited experience traveling with my family reinforces my feeling that things are changing