Trying to understand....

 


The American Hiking Society is seeking a ban of mountain biking on hiking trails..
American Hiking Society

I AM AGAINST THIS PETITION!
I AM AGAINST THIS PAROCHIAL LOGIC.
IT SEEMS SELFISH AND SHORT SIGHTED.


what about a practical approach?
rational analysis about the appropriate use of space
some trails would do well to be shared... others may be best limited use...
in most cases hikers, bikers, and equestrians can share space just fine
but a blanket statement?

seems a little ass backwards

the other day I ran into a neighbor... he had just gotten back from a hike with his young toddler age boys in the woods of Rock Creek Park...
I was pleased to hear that he was sharing this wonderful natural environment with his young boys
after hearing this I made mention of my desire to see legal mountain biking on the natural surface trails of Rock Creek Park... he was not hesitant... he immediately objected

I was dumbfounded 
we spoke about it for no more than a minute
as I did not want a heated debate on something close to my heart versus his off the cuff shoot from the hip notion of how the space should be used

in the decade or so that I have known him I think that this is the first time he has been in the woods that are down the block/across the street from his house
so for him to want bikes off the trails on the off chance that he and his family may be disturbed on the one time in ten years that they want to go for a walk... well... that seems a little short sighted and selfish
but sadly... that is the logic that mountain bikers are up against

an aversion to change
an objection to something that people know very little about
people fearing this great "what if"
a "what if" that is really not that bad