DC Police were issuing tickets to cyclists running the Red Light in front of Treasury...

the other day while headed home on the bike
headed straight home
no extended loop
not a work out... not exercise
just a direct route from work to home I saw a cluster of cops on 15th Street in the Bike Lane

when I approached I stopped... as it looked like these police were focused on the bikes in the bike lane

as I stopped I barked out to a friend named Gus that he best stop
when we stopped the cop gave us the thumbs up

sure enough...
they were issuing tickets
at least they were warnings
yet I find this to be unfair and illogical

illogical and unfair

CAR DRIVERS ARE DOING ALL SORTS OF DANGEROUS STUFF
cell phone usage... blocking the box... speeding... failure to yield to pedestrians
you name it.... car drivers are doing it
and
when a car driver breaks the law the potential for danger to others is FAR GREATER than when a person on a bike breaks the law

in this particular location
running the red light with a measure of the pedestrian traffic is the logical thing to do
it is not a thru street

I do not think pedestrians should be penalized for jaywalking when it is not safe for them to cross when it is their turn to cross in the crosswalk
and the same goes for cyclists
with all the dangers car drivers are bringing to the table
I am not sure if the attention to the cyclists is warranted

who is the squeaky wheel?
why are they getting the grease?

GET THE CAR DRIVERS TO OBEY THE LAW
THEN GET THE PEDESTRIANS AND CYCLISTS TO OBEY THE LAW
until the cars are in order
people on foot and on bike are just trying to arrive alive

it is true... I am a bit of an anarchist on the bike
but

UNTIL THE LAWS PROTECT ME
THE LAWS DO NO APPLY TO ME
(well... not really... but it is cool to say)