WABA Silent Auction
time well spent
time served

voluntered as bartender at the WABA Silent auction

was joined by my brother and several others


all went well

glasses got filled

people got drunk

we made some tips for the WABA folks

my brother and I represented the City Bikes Family

the winter weather held some people back
the number of bikes locked up out front was clearly lower than the year prior
guess the bike valet got the night off
that or they had to shovel the walk outside instead
normally I would ride the short cross town ride for such an affair but, the wet slick roads, the steadily falling snow, the recovering shoulder, the thought of ruining my tuxedo all combined to have me drive the short drive to the Embassy of Finland for the WABA Silent Aucton

the numbers were down due to the weather
yet it was still a lively affair

had the camera
there were not as many cyclists to shoot as I had hoped
and well... did not take the photos of those I did not know as I have no need for the digital archive
enough Megabytes of scrap data as it is

the
Auction went well
it was amazing to see the deals
so much stuff went for below retail
I tried to bid on a unicycle
the folks at
League of American Bicyclist out bid me

one of the more interesting items up for sale was a lesson to ride a "high wheeler" by local bike guru larry black
larry black bike collector, bike shop owner, and serious bike geek
he holds various rollers records including the rare ability to strip down naken while riding rollers then getting dressed again
auctioned off the services of promising to teach the winning bidder to ride a high wheeler
at Bike DC a few years ago I saw larry black ride through deep gravel and over railroad tracks
a section that forced many of the riders to dismount and walk
we spoke....
he is a character
not unlike many people within the tribe of the cyclist