dogs, cats, and exotic birds

hypothetical....
if my rare and expensive exotic bird got out of its cage and "flew the coop" so to speak
then that rare and expensive exotic bird ended up in a cat's mouth...
do you think that a cat owner would do much more than shrug your shoulders and say... oh well

well, what if my dogs were going down the sidewalk and out of my control someone's cat ended up in my dog's mouth...
well... it would be the start of a civil war
the streets would divide
cat people would unite
craig's list, urban moms, and every other forum I can not think of at this moment would be chock full of comments...
it is something I do not even like to think about

(I better watch what I say as I do not want to offend The Old Bag as I know she loves her furry fish that swim around the house)

what if my dogs did not catch this said cat... but in the process of chasing the cat got run over by a car
do you think the cat owner would do much more than shrug their shoulders?
I guess there is not just one cookie cutter answer

well.... my dogs did not eat a cat
but... a leashless cat arroused my dogs...
my dogs did what dogs do and gave into their nature
in a lunge, a jump, and a little chase after the cat my four year old son was pulled to the ground
the cat climbed a tree
no one was hurt
but... what if?
I hate to think... what if?
but what if my son had broken his arm or chipped a tooth?
is the cat owner to blame?

there must be some cause and effect
some sort of legal if then

I am really confused by this....

help me out

of course the hypothetical continues
the variables continue to mount as well
what if the cat gets run over by a car?
what if my dog got run over by a car?
more likely the dog than the cat as cats are more smart than dogs about some things
yet neither is as smart as the fox
back to my point...
what was my point?
oh, what if....
what if
okay... you get the idea

I hate what ifs and worst case scenarios