do we need a sign for everything?

[Imagine a picture of Yogi Bear here... that is Yoge Bear.... Not Yogi Berra]

yesterday I was driving with my family through the Wild and Wonderful turns and twists of the road that passes through Rocky Mountain National Park

much like every other tour-on in the park we made a number of stops
we stopped for scenic overlooks
we stopped to pee
we stopped to see elk
we stopped and saw elk while we peed

at one of our stops, perhaps the highest stretch of road in the park
two miles high
there were all sorts of mountain chipmunks and mountain squirrels
we stopped to take in the view, but hardly looked past the nearly domesticated vermin at our feet
while I guided my children to be cautious of the overly comfortable and curious little animals
I told them not to feed the animals
by my side was one of the many overly large american tourists breaking open a bag of sunflower seeds
I informed here that we are not supposed to feed the animals
she said that there was no sign
I said... that there were signs everywhere
she said she had not seen them
I asked if she had seen the Yogi Bear cartoon as a child...
then told her that it was common sense
to that she told me, my children, and her fat children with nascar t-shirts and rat tails that I am a f-ckhead

seconds later Ranger Bob rolled up and told us not to feed the animals as I was instructing my older son to mimic the action of feeding the animals to get a shot of him along with the local critters

to this I thought about our world of signs....
so many signs exist
so many signs are ignored
I say.... take down the signs... take down all the signs

take down the sign with the icon of the camera telling the tourist of the photo opportunity
if they do not see that this is a great place to take the picture then well... they do not need the picture
take down the warning sign of the sharp curve as it may allow natural selection to rid us of a few undesireables

take all the signs down
take them all down
take a few year break
then...
lets put the signs up again
as the signs for the most part go unseen
maybe we could put up the signs and have them be a tad more effective if they are noticed

Boulder has great signs
Boulder has great bicycle related signs
the cyclists have rights... so the cyclists tend to obey the law

In Washington DC, the cyclist has no rights
the cyclist in Washington DC grits their teeth, throws out their elbows and takes what they can
the DC cyclist takes what it gets... the law does not protect them... so the law does not apply to them
in Boulder, the laws instruct the cars how to behave around cyclists and the laws instruct the cars how to behave around cyclists
it is a much more civil world than the anarchy that is Washington DC

that is really two different thoughts..
but that is how my mind rolls