training wheels worked just fine

there were thoughts of getting a LIKE-A-BIKE style product
there were all sorts of Internet searches that took me around Europe
there were German manufacturers and British makers
there were various pedal-less bike type of things all over
but no options in the states
well... now there is LIKE-A-BIKE
and certainly soon there will be a reasonably priced Fisher Price option (we can only hope)

but training wheels worked just fine for us
and
training wheels continue to work just fine

Dean was off training wheels by four and a half
while Grant gets great joy from pedaling the smaller wheeled bike with training wheels
he enjoys it more than the tricycle
so...
I would think that the LIKE-A-BIKE style product would be in addition to a tricycle and a bike with training wheels
not instead
all the skills are needed to learn to ride a bike
not just the balance of coasting down hill

had considered taking the one piece crank set off a smaller kids bike
just to see if there is any pleasure in that coasting machine

I would fear that it is no better or no worse
just different
fun for the kids
but no more safe
and well
I am not sure that it would accerate or ease the learning to ride a bike

there was a time where I looked at it and thought
wow that is one expensive set of wooden crutches
as I was viewing the bicycle like structure in ikea form as more of a training tool
used for two to four weeks to transition from bike with training wheels to bike without training wheels
as pedaling is as much a skill to be learned as balance
and well
steering and pedaling is differnet than kicking around with some wood and some wheels between your legs

yet, I considered buying one of these beautiful pieces of wood
thought that the whole block could use it
that these wooded crutches would be brought out as each child approached the appropriate time to transition from training wheels to without training wheels
yet....
I could not justify the cost
looked at them
paid close attention to them when I saw children with them

but never pulled out the credit card
came close
but never made a purchase

thinking that training wheels should work fine for Grant when the time approaches
but
if there are wooded crutches to grab
I will certainly let Grant (or bicycle proficient Dean) give them a try
as I am sure that the process is fun
heck.... I did it the other day when the chain on my single speed broke!

http://www.sabamba.eu/

http://www.likeabikeusa.com/#

two seventy nine
there is a great motion gif on the Charm City registration page
but honestly
I think that is too much to spend on a childrens bike
sorry...
two seventy nine
does it teach my kids to read as well?