an article that touches on a few ideas I believe strongly in

article about kids walking and/or riding their bikes to school

loved this quote
the odds of your child being the victim of a Polly Klaas-style abduction are roughly one in a million. Your child is 13 times more likely to die playing football than to be the victim of abduction
when my brother and I were kids our school forbade the students from riding their bikes to school
we decided that we would ride our bikes to within a block or two of school
someone snitched
not sure how or why our school thought that they had a say in what we did once we left the school grounds
but
that facist institution known as Our Lady of Lourdes had a long list of rules for us in and out of school
I would start on the list
but
would have to enter therapy if I really got into it