a list in the Chicago Sun Times... THINGS I HATE ABOUT COMMUTING!

this is a great little list about what this woman in Chicago hates about commuting by bicycle
http://blogs.suntimes.com

a nice little list...


now...
let me see if I can compile SOMN THINGS I HATE ABOUT COMMUTING BY BICYCLE!

not in any order
off the top of my head
not a complete list... just what I can come up with

1. CAR DRIVERS! BUS DRIVERS! TAXI CAB DRIVERS! PEDESTRIANS! NEWBIE CYCLISTS!
okay... shorten number one... PEOPLE! I HATE PEOPLE! People are either Idiots or Assholes!

sorry... I will try to be more clear in my thoughts.... and a little less obnoxious
but... I just got off my bike and people are pissing me off!
so... let me start over!

THINGS I HATE ABOUT BICYCLE COMMUTING!

1. The Lawlessness of the Car Drivers on the road
the SPEED LIMIT is stated... yet people seemed to miss the section in basic math where the topic of GREATER THAN\LESS THAN WAS COVERED
or perhaps they are unable to define the term LIMIT!
LIMIT=MAXIMUM
they should restate the system and set the SPEED LIMIT for the SPEEDS that they will allow people to travel
it is too vague

cars drive obnoxiously fast... unnecessarily fast... and dangerously fast
not realizing that they should at least respect the SPEED LIMIT when passing Pedestrians and Cyclists

in so many ways the "newer technology" and the "advertising campaigns" of the car companies has enabled the car driving styles
people keep their foot on the gas a steer around
I recall a truck commercial where the car ZOOMS around falling boulders or a flat bed of logs rolling off the truck in front of them... so rarely do people apply their brakes

when I cross the street on foot I always make sure it is clear
it blows my mind that approaching traffic never slows their pace
if there is the risk of a point of intersection they do not slow... they just swerve around
then of course... they stop at blocked traffic feet ahead

2. Car Driver's inability to make a complete stop at the STOP SIGN AT THE STOP LINE
it amuses me that you hear and read all the complaints about cyclists rolling through Stop Signs
when I seldom see a car driver make a complete stop at a stop sign at the stop line
when driving I am nearly rear ended each time I make the appropriate stop line

if CARS were to make complete STOPS at the STOP LINE there would be a positive ripple effect...
this would give them a chance to check to see if it is safe and clear... they could yield to those who have the right of way... and it would aid in keeping their speed down to a rational level... because their would be no sense (there is already no sense) in their racing ZERO TO SIXTY before the next stop 50 yards ahead!

3. HAVING TO PLAY CHICKEN WITH HEAD ON TRAFFIC
On narrow alleyways and residential streets cars roll down the center of the road and play chicken with the cyclists...
in my neighborhood several times a week I encounter this same behavior from DC Police

4. CARS WANTING CYCLIST TO THE RIGHT WHEN THEY DO NOT LEAVE THE RIGHT CLEAR!
Cars GESTURING that the cyclists should stay to the right... while they do not drive in a style that grants cyclists safe passage on right


and of course... I would not expect car drivers to understand that it is unsafe for cyclists to ride hugging the parked cars in THE DOOR ZONE
because so few cyclists understand that THE DOOR ZONE is the DANGER ZONE
but...
if cars drove hugging the center lane instead of riding all over the lane
then maybe more cyclists would ride to the ride

it is most common for cars to pass me then cut over in front of me
then blocking passage on the right side
thus forcing me to pass on the left side

5. CAR HORNS DIRECTED AT ME
Cars and Trucks
HONKING for me to get out of their way...
the Car and Truck have no greater right to be on the road than I do
I have a right to my space
I have a right to my safe passage
HONKING MAKES ME GO SLOWER!
it also alerts me to the obnoxious self righteous asshole behind me
that same person who would not pass me safely... so... I make the decision for them and ride where I am most safe... in the center of the lane directly in front of them

I view a horn as someone telling me to FUCK OFF!
I usually flip them off right back... it is wrong... but it is my impulse reaction

6. DOUBLE PARKED CARS!
the double parked cars screw the cyclist and they screw other car drivers
yet... I do not see car drivers responding to this behavior
while I do notice that the car drivers are not accepting of the cyclist need to exit the right hand lane to go around this double parked car

what people fail to realize that their commute to work would be so much more efficient if this same cast of people were not commiting the same set of violations on a daily basis
people dropping off and picking up people in the NO STOPPING OR NO STANDING ZONES are really clogging stuff up
there are streets where the right lane should be clear during RUSH HOUR.... well... these areas are not clear... so FLOW IS NOT FACILITATED... ticketing to these people... maybe a minor ticket... which would have a license revoked if the same violation occurred several times in a year... get these people off the road and the roads would flow much more nicely

7. FAST AGGRESSIVE DRIVING being confused for efficient driving...
people drive fast and loose not realizing that it does not get them anywhere any more quickly

I have written a post on this... THE CAR COMMUTER CHALLENGE! read it... share it!

hmmm... off the top of my head... what else do I hate about Bicycle Commuting to Work?

8. Cab Drivers

9. MY COMMUTE IS NOT LONG ENOUGH TO GET A WORK OUT OR TO CLEAR MY HEAD
My commute is too short... I wish I had a more legitimate ride into work
at least I often find time to extend it after work
but it would be a healthy way to start the day if I could clear my head with a few miles before work
that is not the case

and the last thing for this short list of what I hate about my commute to work on bicycle

10. MY BIKE DELIVERS ME TO WORK
It brings me to work! There are other things I would rather do!

sorry.. no more time for this
this was a rapid sprint on the keyboard
this is all I get off the top of my head

in the COMMENT SECTION PLEASE ADD WHAT YOU HATE ABOUT YOUR BICYCLE COMMUTE!