morning ride... not exactly what I was expecting

it may be too late for a snow plow
a Zamboni would be a more rational option!

REALLY!

SMOOTH DOWN THAT ICE ON THE CAPITAL CRESCENT TRAIL SO WE CAN ICE SKATE INTO WORK!

because it is far closer to being skate-able than being bike-able
and a plow would not be able to break this glacial mass

I got up this morning knowing I did not have to be into work until 11am

ah... the late shift
gotta love the late shift

it gives me time to drop the kids off and ride my bike before heading into work


so...
I dropped the kids off at school... the dog had
already been walked
so I when I got home I jumped into some cycling gear and got on my newly acquired Trek 2.3 road bi
ke
yes... I know... this is winter bike season... not skinny tire bike season... but it is where I am drawn to these days
you know... the draw of a new bike

so... on the bike and down the alley I am thinking that there should not be any snow to speak of
we had some rain and some warm weather
which should have been enough to clear everything away from everywhere except for the places where th
e plows piled the snow and where things are heavily shaded

my time on Beach Drive was less than memorable
it was the usual experience
most of the cars passed without consequence
while a few may have been closer and faster to me than I would like
this is to be expected

finally I get to the CAR FREE ZONE
I turn off Jones Mill or maybe Jones Bridge... one of those two and turn onto the Capital Crescent Trail for some CAR FREE PLEASURE

alas... no..
IT IS A MESS!

ice and snow as far as the eye can see

I ride at a super slow pace trying to stay upright
in my head I think about SNOT CYCLE and how snow biking and ice biking are not really my thing
I laugh about CYCLE JERK'S VIDEO of his new STUDDED TIRES

thinking all along that things will be clear around the bend
also thinking that my bike is going to disappear out from under me at any second
I cross Connecticut Avenue and find more of the same
eventually I jump off the bike path and onto one of the roads that runs parallel to it

in downtown Bethesda I get back on the bike trail thinking it would be clear from this point onwar
d
WRONG!
I find myself doing more of the same
flowing through the clear sections... slowing dramatically for the snowy sections for fear that they are actually ice sections
only to decide after talking to another cyclist to take Little Falls Parkway instead of the trail
after hearing that the Capital Crescent Trail is clear on the DC side since it is plowed by the National Park Service

Chicago Blackhawk Ice Crew

www.92kqrs.com

Bike Plows
www.grist.org

pedal plow on TREEHUGGER
www.treehugger.com


http://www.zamboni.com/