The MoCo Epic is Epic! Rode the 40 Miler on Single Speeds with my 15 year old son Dean... DEAN ROCKED IT! RIGID TOO!


WOW!
what a day... what a glorious day!
a great day to be on the bike in the woods
the MoCo Epic Delivered

as the MoCo Epic approached I looked at my life and I wondered... can I make this happen?
if I can make it happen

what distance?
with who or whom?

as it turns out my boys were both free on the Sunday that this event was scheduled
so I tried to figure how I could do this event with both of my boys
well...
riding with 12 year old Grant and 15 year old Dean has never been an easy balancing act
one child is forced to go faster and harder than they would like
while the other has to ride slower and less intense than they would like

so... what to do? what to do?

Grant bowed out... I wanted him involved
but had to accept it would be easier to ride with Dean and give Grant a "pass"
considered trying to get Grant to tag along with another father\son duo... but really... that is too much to ask of another parent

so it was decided...
Dean and I would ride single speeds at the MoCo Epic
but what distance?
what distance would be most practical?

over the years my pig headed-ness has tended to opt for the longest distance
but this year... I decided to try a different option
it made sense to chased down the 40 miler...
as it was said that the 40 miler has the greatest percentage of single track\the least percentage of road riding to get from trail head to trail head

so it was decided...
MoCo 40 Miler would be out objective
as it would turn out
the 40 Miler was ALL CANDY!




but the weather...
weather was brewing
hurricane coming up the coast
how would this weather effect our day

I feared that the trails would be drentched and the event would be postponed
alas no
it turns out the hurricane did not effect the immediate area
there was some rain the day prior
but no significant accumulation

YE HA!
THE RIDE WAS ON!


ah... how fortunate we are
that we can opt to spend several hundred dollars to ride our several thousand dollar bikes in the woods
our anxiety about a hurricane was not worry for health or well being
but worry about whether or not we would be able to enduldge ourselves with our two wheeled hobby

crazy...
crazy lucky
crazy fortunate

as I rode on this day... I prayed not only for the safety of myself and my son
but also for all those in Haiti and other areas where the hurricane has brought death and destruction
I also gave thanks for the lives we lead
the world we were born into and the experiences that our fortunate placement in the world allows





Dean and I got a late start on the day
we arrived and registered... getting on the bike just before the closing of our group's release
our start may have been close to 10:30

on the bikes and into the woods
as we rolled away from the Soccer Plex in Germantown I was immediately excited by having my wheels on trails that were new and unfamiliar to me

this is one of the great things about the MoCo Epic
this event introduces so many riders to the vast array of trails that MORE has developed in Montgomery County
on this day I would be pleasantly surprised by the quality and the quantity of these trails
the MUDDY BRANCH trails were completely forgein to me
it was a blast to hit all this fast and flowy single track

all of which was less than an hour from the US Capitol
well... less than an hour without traffic
in rush hour... it would be more than an hour

another thing that makes this event so great
AID STATIONS!
riders can push themselves a greater than normal distance with the aid stations offering fuel along the way
I could not imagine bringing that much food in a Camel Back!

DEAN KILLED IT!
Dean rocked the course on his rigid single speed... his Salsa Juan Solo with its carbon fork and its 29 inch wheel in the front and 26 inch wheel in the back
I set the pace and Dean chased in my shadow

IT WAS AWESOME!

we pedaled and we pedaled
Dean expressed his teen-ness with his excitement for the aid stations
our late start had us both a little bummed that we missed out on the pancake dipped sausage links at the first aid station
but the bacon was a decent surrogate

it was all smiles
I felt the threat of cramping... but cramping never happened
we marched some of the steeper hills to avoid an excess of pain and the risk of a broken chain
we rode without incident
no crashes... no mechanical failures... and no human body failures

it was a good day... a glorious day... an amazing day

it was a blast to share this day with my son

Dean had a blast... I had a blast!

good times for sure

thanks to all the people that volunteered to make this day happen
thanks to all the people at MORE
thanks to all the volunteers
this day could not happen without all the volunteers
WOW!

Thanks!

MORE

JOIN MORE!
SUPPORT MORE!
VOLUNTEER WITH MORE!
MORE MORE MORE!


Strava Data