MORE ride at Fairland...


ah...

took my younger son Grant mountain biking the other day
when I woke him that morning I informed him of my plans for the day
as expected... Grant objected
"dad... that is not how I wanted to spend my day"

well...
I expected something like this
so... I asked him what he wanted to do... he had no plan
and... any plan he had
well... it could happen either before or after that ride
as a parent I try not to fall into the trap of "asking"
I believe "don't ask... tell"
or
if giving the children "choices" give them several choices that the parent wants and then something that no one wants
for example... "hey kid... lets do something... you can either go mountain biking or read this technical manual for this thingamabob"
Grant persisted... so I gave it to him straight
"you are the child and I am the adult...
if the child could make the right decisions for themselves
well... we would have just bought you a little house and gave you all the money you need to life.
then left you on your way.
but that is not how it works.
it is up to the parent to make the best decisions for the child.
I am making what I believe to be the best decision as to how you spend your day today.
today we are going mountain biking"
or something to that effect

we rode... we had fun... it was time well spent