THE SHED

 



The Shed
a few months back I saw a posting on Facebook
my old friend TJ Morton had just finished a shed project with a friend
TJ was all stoked about the finished project
it looked super pro

this got TJ and I talking 
I asked TJ how much a it costs to build a shed like that
TJ gave me the numbers for the materials
then I asked how much for labor
to which TJ replied, "pizza and beer"

I can afford pizza and beer
so.. I asked TJ if he wanted to help me with my shed project

TJ was available and interested
TJ has a nature that is not often found in people 
TJ likes to do people favors
and
he is a project guy

TJ LOVES A PROJECT!

and well...
this shed is a project






there was a shed in the backyard...
that shed was small and had a hole in the roof
there was a foundation for a larger shed
so- instead of the original 10 X 10 shed
we would expand to the footprint of the 10 X 20 foot shed

going from a pitched roof to a flat roof
and then...
instead of coating the exterior with plywood
we would be covering the exterior with OLD DOORS
yes... old doors


it has been a process...
as I have come to understand
these things take longer than expected
and
I have also come to understand that I am not a carpenter and TJ has knowledge and skills well beyond my abilities

so.. although the build is taking longer than anticipated
TJ is taking care and concern to levels I would never be able to attain

thanks TJ!



so...
the frame is up!
we have a good percentage of the sides covered
and... the rafters for the roof are halfway done
this is all coming together
but...
there are still a few more complicated tasks
the doors... the actual doors and a window that opens and closes 
these things still need to be done
and well...
I could slap boards\doors on the side of a framed wall
but "hanging" doors?
"racking" the building?
well... again... I defer to TJ

Thanks TJ!

and thanks to all those that have donated doors...
trying to only buy what I have to!
One Man's Trash is another Man's treasure!
people have been very generous with their doors

amazing how many new never used doors I have received
doors from 2020 and doors from 1920!



resources for FREE STUFF... more than just Doors...

Facebook has a BUY NOTHING site
I am able to join a local Buy Nothing Group for my neighborhood
unfortunately... only my neighborhood
but that makes for easier pick up!

Facebook Buy Nothing Project!
https://www.facebook.com/BuyNothingProject/

then... FREECYCLE!
https://www.freecycle.org/

and NEXTDOOR!
https://nextdoor.com/

and well... there is Community Forklift in Hyattsville and Second Chance in Baltimore
Second Chance has a section in their parking lot that is free for the taking
they often have doors!

oh... and Craig's List!