Dead City Alleycat - Scary Downhill\Killer Climb Embassy to Embassy Timed Run...

 


The Dead City Alleycat happened last weekend...
the buzz has not subsided

there was a great deal of build up
it took a much prep and much planning

it was an anxious day
things were set up to time like one of those Domino displays
everything had to fall into place with the right timing
or 
else it would be nothing but a confusing mess

I tried to have all the volunteers start at the first Checkpoint - The Tour De Bike Lane meet up spot at 15th and P Street

this is where David Confer would host the Tour de Bike Lane
manifests were handed out at the First Checkpoint
the volunteers were told to leave either when they know every racer has passed through 
or
 15 minutes after the first racer

it was cutting it close
the lead racers are fast

volunteers are not looking to race to their check point
so... having volunteers move from the first check point to their assigned check point may have added to the anxiety
but... somehow I thought that would be more fun than just going to a check point straight from home and twiddling their thumbs until racers arrived

sure... it may have added to the anxiety and pressure for volunteers to show up at Dupont to get assignments, migrate to Check Point One, then peel off to their assigned location
 I think this added involvement upped the fun factor

my high school buddy Rob and my college buddy Kevin were good enough to answer the call to volunteer
both Kevin and Rob are cyclists 
neither are messengers nor do either do alleycats
but they were willing to help out


that said...
Rob and Kevin were willing to come and volunteer...
but - the promise was not set in stone
there were contingencies
there maybe was a strong maybe - but nothing definite

they wanted to work their check point together
initially I agreed to that
but as the race date came closer... I had to rescind that offer
as a number of promised volunteers had backed down

so... I begged Rob and Kevin to come down...
stating my case
and 
making it clear that they may be out there alone
but ideally... more volunteers would come to assist


well... at the race meet up spot there were some additional volunteers
but not the numbers I was seeking
and...
none of these additional volunteers had the time to volunteer for a full shift
they were just willing to help out for a bit and then peel off

DCMTB's Matt C. was in that cast of characters that wanted to help, but had other obligations
Matt C. worked with Kevin for the start of his check point assignment
but had to leave just shortly after the first to 10 or so racers came through

this left Kevin out there solo....
Kevin handled his assignment with poise and ease

I have called Kevin a dozen times since the event... not sure if he is ignoring me or refusing my calls for fear that I have another un-askable favor to ask 

honestly... it was a great deal to ask
it was a handful... it was a mindful...
Kevin and Rob stepped up to the task
Kevin maybe handling a little more as a solo volunteer than Rob who had TJ assisting him 


each manned check point was given a printed out set of instructions
the volunteers would have to adapt those instructions to what they would be comfortable with
Kevin had to give instructions to the racers how navigate their way down Fulton Street into the Normanstone Valley and then climb up to Calvert Street

easier said then done...

take a look at the map below
look for the Embassy of Azerbaijan 
then look for the Embassy of Lebanon 
that is the time race

EMBASSY TO EMBASSY 

on the map trace things down...

Start at the Embassy of Azerbaijan...

34th and Fulton 
down Fulton Street to Normanstone Drive
Stay Straight on Normanstone
then when there is a chance to go right... go left
then at the next option to for right... go left on Rock Creek Drive which turns into 28th
staying right until the top of a short climb
finishing at the Embassy of Lebanon 


well... as said... easier said than done...
what is said and what is heard can be completely different

Kevin had multiple things to share with the racers as they came in
Kevin may have said their were arrows painted on the road
people looked for arrows on the trees

some people liked to look at the map
other people just took their race number and dropped in and started speeding down the hill

not sure who got lost...
not sure who took the longest...
hopefully everyone had fun




there had to be a little madness
there had to be a little chaos
there may have been a little anxiety
well... this is an Alleycat

some of these variables are expected 


not sure why...
but I wanted to have this little downhill section in the race

it is an amazing downhill
not sure of the speeds
it looked like the top racers were flying
cracks me up that the fixie riders just take their feet off the pedals and let it roll


in my mind this downhill would be unknown to the racers
it seems like I would be sharing a secret spot with the racers

just as with Holy Rood Cemetery 
not sure if any of the racers had ever been to Holy Rood Cemetery before

people go by or near these locations
but have never experienced them?

now Holy Rood and the Fulton Downhill are part of their mental map
maybe people will revisit these spots
maybe people will use these spots in future Alleycats



in my mind this Timed Embassy to Embassy was a great addition to the race
sure...  the need for volunteers is a stressful effort
future alleycats may not merit such things
as much as I love the race within the race

not sure if I would try to have the races with in the race again
manned Check Points are a logistical nightmare
I learned this before... I have learned this again
I fear making this same mistake again 

I LOVE THE RACE WITHIN THE RACE

it is fun for the racers
and
it can offer up a winner other than the overall winner

there people that won the races within the race... were not the winner of the race overall


so... Alleycat races hosts may have a signature style
now... I have not hosted enough races to claim to have a "style"
but I will say
I do enjoy the race within the race

in The Dead City Alleycat I had several races within the race
Time Laps at 
Holy Rood Cemetery
Embassy to Embassy 
Tall Bike Challenge

so... as much as I do not like the stress of volunteers
if I host another race and want to have a "race within a race"
I will need volunteers
or no races within the race

without volunteers this race would have been a different day

The Dead City Alleycat in DC has a reputation for Alleycats with challenges that are more fun...
I have had to bob for apples, eat a doughnut on a string without my hands, and other similar such games
I tried to bring that energy... but with a different style
the closest I came to those challenges was the Hot Sauce Challenge
which was not timed... we did not time the Hot Sauce Challenge

once again...
thanks to all the volunteers
this race could not have happened without you
it was an amazing day
it was a fantastic race

this race would have been a very different raced without all the support of my friends






below are a few shots from Rob's wedding\bachelor party...