would have love to of had more photos taken at the 2021 Dead City Alleycat... U Lock Bowling for Paint Cans and Frisbeen toss through a bicycle rim...

the day has passed...
the race day has come and gone
all the prep... all the planning...
all the stress... all the worry...
it was worth it

The Dead City Alleycat as a SUCCESS!!!
I was able to host a race that was of the caliber of so many wonderful Alleycats I have raced over the years
so glad I was able to make this contribution to the DC Messenger\DC Urban Bike Culture

sure... it is not normal for people to go through and document the details of the check points of an Alleycat like this... yet I proceed... the momentum can not be stopped...

still waiting for Knog Lights to arrive from Melbourne, Australia... 

the anticipation... these items will be saved for the next Alleycat... 
perhaps I will be inspired to throw a Holiday Alleycat!!!
if this package takes any longer... I can use them at the 2022 Dead City Alleycat


so... much time has passed since the 2021 Dead City Alleycat: Ghosts of the DC Street

the event is a faint memory
since then people have gone back to work 
then also... people have ridden their bikes in other races and events
there have been DC Bike Parties... Tweed Rides... Cyclocross Races... and other such cycling events hosted since The Dead City Alleycat had its race on the eve of Halloween


as said in previous posts...
volunteers and racers gathered at Dupont Circle
racers in one section of the park
volunteers in another part of the park

the "sworn to secrecy" tone was not something that everyone favored
people wanted to know where they were going
but this information was TOP SECRET
why?
because that is the game... leaking such information could offer an advantage
or worse yet
leaked information could fall into the wrong hands

yes... nefarious actions by a DC Messenger whose actions I find hard to understand
not sure if he can justify his actions
but there was a DC Courier on site who was more interested in sabotaging the event than participating 
bummer... bummer to be that guy

and yet... the one time rookie known as "hood ornament" wonders why the messenger community does not care for him

the Alleycat is a Race...
a game of sorts
there are some notions of guidelines 
there are rules of sorts

keeping the checkpoints a secret and not leaking any of the information is part of that game
as a child I was told that I would take the fun out of whiffle ball
it took me years to understand
later I came to understand that I often take things too seriously
such is my way

so... The Dead City Alleycat was designed to be fun for racers and fun for volunteers
when creating the manifest and gathering volunteers I reached out to an assortment of friends
to each of these friends I suggested the same notion
meet at Dupont Circle to get your assignments
gather with other volunteers

some of the volunteers wanted to drive their cars
some of the volunteers wanted to go straight to their check point assignment
it seemed to me...
riding the bicycle to the start at Dupont Circle would be more in the spirit of the event
and
it would be more fun to see the start of the race and then migrate to the check point
rather than just waiting a longer duration at the check point for racers to arrive

sure enough... Dupont Circle was ALIVE with Halloween Energy
as racers and volunteers gathered for the race
people parade through the park in costume
there was no shortage of Halloween themed eye candy

the manifest had the Checkpoints in order...
people could do them in any order
but I listed the manifest such that the addresses took a nice loop
then the bonus Checkpoints fell in line with that loop
only the Bonus Checkpoints were not in order
they were simple... but not in order

the first CHECKPOINT was a nod to David Confer
Cate Cohen teamed up with other volunteers to man this first checkpoint at 15th and P Street
Tour de Bike Lane
in an effort to up the fun factor I had the volunteers all go to the first check point
volunteers cheered for passing cyclists in the bike lane as they waited for racers

the racers were given the BONUS MANIFEST at DUPONT CIRCLE
the "actual" manifest would be given out at the first check point
oh man... that ups the fun factor
or 
at least it will increase the chaos

I was not there... I was not at the first Checkpoint to witness the madness

I released the racers from Dupont Circle
only in my imagination can I picture what might have happened
the first checkpoint was a Manifest Pick Up
then around the corner... the second checkpoint was a pick up

around the back of the church next to the Tour de Bike Lane volunteer Michael Jones handed out bottle openers...
well... we had maybe 20 or so bottle openers
so with 47 racers...
when the bottle openers were handed out
Michael handed out squirt guns and then reflective leg bands

then...
after the last racer or 15 minutes after the first racer arrived
which ever made more sense
which ever allowed for all the racers to pass through was the time when volunteers were to peel off and head to their next assignment

Michael Jones was to leave his Church Key Checkpoint at 15th and Church Street and head off to the U-Lock Bowling for Paint Cans checkpoint at Walter Pierce Park in Adams Morgan
while Cate Cohen and Marina Smith lead a group of volunteers from the Tour de Bike Lane Checkpoint to the Time Laps in Holy Rood Cemetery in Georgetown\Glover Park

in each case... 
it was important for volunteers to move faster than the racers
the racers would have to go to multiple locations across town before getting to these checkpoints with challenges
there was time... but not much time
volunteers needed to be at their location before the racers

I know... I was cutting it close
but... it was all manageable 
sure enough...
Marina, Cate, and others arrived at Holy Rood Cemetery before the leaders...
Rob with TJ and Kevin with Matt were able to get to their Embassy Assignments before the fast racers in the lead...
and the same would go for Michael Jones...
there was time... it was cutting it close
but the whole event was cutting it close
this is an Alleycat... 


I left out of Dupont Circle and rode my mountain bike a percentage of the course
left out of Dupont with One Eyed Bruce
we soft pedaled to the first Check Point
to my pleasure...  racers and volunteers were not at this location
then...
around the corner to Michael Jone's spot
Mike had also vacated his check point

the race had started
racers were racing
volunteers were volunteering

Bruce and I caught up as I meandered across town
my phone was blowing up
I caught up on messages and then picked up my pace 
I wanted to see that checkpoint volunteers were ready
and
I needed to be sure that I was at the finish before the first finishers


so... Bruce and I parted ways
Bruce had to head north... I had to head west...

I bisected the city
ignoring checkpoints 

as I passed north of Dupont on R Street I flowed across town
then as I passed the Dumbarton Bridge on Q Street I found myself in the shadow of Syd

WHAT!?!?!

the leaders were KILLING IT!
the leaders were already 1/3 of the way through the race
the first part of the race was checkpoint challenge free
there were pick ups, selfies, and questions to answer
it was my feeling that I need to spread the racers out before they got to the manned checkpoints that required more time from each racer

Syd did not see me...
Syd was on Q Street mashing pretty hard
with my Achilles injury I was cautious not to injury myself trying to match his pace
Syd went straight... I went up 28th or 29th Street to get onto R Street
as I passed The Jackson School I could see Syd moved from Q to R Street
but it appeared that he missed the Jackson School Check Point
I got to the SELFIE at the Gates of Dumbarton Oaks just after Syd

I waited for the trailing racers who were just behind me
snapped a few shots of Johnny W and Veek 
as they took their Selfies
I made mention to check their manifests
as I was confident that they had missed a Bonus checkpoint

I hinted for them to check their Bonus Manifest
then got on my bike and raced Syd to Holy Rood
Syd would have to go to Duke Ellington School
which gave me a chance to beat him to the cemetery

at the cemetery volunteers were gathered
maybe not as ready as they should be

Fed Ex boxes had yet to be assembled
I was not sure if the volunteers were ready for the onslaught of racers they were about to entertain
but sure enough...
everyone was ready
Syd Rolled up as the boxes were assembled
like clockwork the racers arrived and were sent on a two lap time race through the cemetery 

I greeted the volunteers... snapped a few photos then moved to the Embassy to Embassy timed downhill down Fulton Street off 34th Street

went over the Embassy of Azerbaijan and worked with Kevin and Matt to help them streamline their presentation
racers were running a time Embassy to Embassy Run
down Fulton Street into the Normanstone Valley

there were arrows on the road to direct racers the first turns
then there were DC Flags in the classic DC X X X Line Line fashion acting as Do Not Enter for the racers
some people got it... others got lost

the lap times were an indication that many people were able to attack this Embassy to Embassy time run without getting lost

I worked with Kevin and Matt as the first five or so racers came through...
then I dropped in myself
passing the Embassy of Lebanon with only a wave
then onto the rest of the race
in an effort to get to the finish before the lead racers

I passed Michael Jones at the U-Lock Bowling... in the distance it looked like a well oiled machine
but in the end... it may have been a paint splattered machine
looked like fun!

so I passed this check point and kept rolling
on through Adams Morgan into Mount Pleasant

I could see racers at the Pay Phone at La Casa
then gave a LOUD shout out to Kelvin at Don Juan's
not feeling that the Hot Sauce Challenge needed instruction
I pushed forward and further



I rolled through the Frisbee Toss through the Bicycle Rim Check Point at Grant Circle
Chaka Freeman was running the show here...
I passed through quickly
grabbed a container of cotton candy and continued on towards the finish

at Sherman Circle I witnessed the leaders DannyK and Jordon ride the tall bikes
sure looked like fun...
has there ever been an Alleycat with a Tall Bike Ride as a Checkpoint?
I am not sure... but I am confident that that was a cool aspect to an already cool event

I left out of the circle and was quickly passed by DannyK and Jordon
I had also talked to Kevin aka KRad... 
KRad as already at the finish
my estimate of racers at the finish was an accurate measure

I timed things such that I would get to the finish before the first finishers
well... before the first finishers who opted for the MEGA BONUS
KRad did not go for the MEGA BONUS
KRAD went to the finish and called it a day

I went to the pavilion at Fort Slocum
there were already a mass of people gathering
a few racers and a number of people from the park who had not raced
shared the cotton candy with people at the pavilion
asked Krad to collect Manifests as they arrived
I went home
changed my clothes
traded bicycle for car

loaded car with dog and post race prizes
zipped through the liquor store and grabbed three cases of beer
then went to the finish at Fort Slocum 
passed off beers to everyone in attendance

racers started to make it to the finish
quickly 47 manifests stacked in front of me

I gave pause before I started to score the manifests
people were anxious for results
it took a long time to score manifests

KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID
I failed that test
so many people told me to KEEP IT SIMPLE
I did the opposite
the manifest was long and complex

scored and complete
a number of INCOMPLETES
an unpopular scoring
the first manifest was ALL OR NONE
one missed question scored an INCOMPLETE


images stolen from Andy Zalan's Instagram
GREAT SHOTS AZ!

Video on Facebook by AZ of Kent Baake at the Frisbee through the Bicycle Rim Challenge at Grant Circle

and then Veek has video from his GO PRO