Wilson Rowing Water Practice in December...


Wilson Rowing
Wilson High School Varsity Crew 
now... this post is interesting
first... I am not sure if Wilson High School is still going by the name of "Wilson"

previously... Wilson High School was named after Woodrow Wilson the 28th President of the United States
now... with all the strengths of Woodrow Wilson
Wilson was a "segregationist"
in fact... it was under President Wilson that a Black neighborhood was moved from NW DC to free up the land to create what is now Fort Reno Park and then Alice Deal Middle School and Wilson High School

so... the Nobel Peace Prize winning President was a segregationist...
that just does not float as the name of a racially diverse high school in a city that up until recently was known as "The Chocolate City"

now with the rise of "gentrafication" DC is now becoming less Black...
thus making DC "The Chocolate Chip City"


Smithsonian Magazine about the movement of this Black neighborhood by President Wilson

Washington Post Article about the move to change the High School's Name



What's in a name?
a rose by any other name would smell just as sweet...

I am not sure how I feel about the name change...
I understand the rational... but not sure if I agree with it...
removing the name does not change the history
leaving the name gives an opportunity to acknowledge the history

curious how the students feel...
curious how the Alumni feel...

I do not really have a strong feeling about this...
but...
not sure if I like the new name...

but this is not the point... these photos are from the Wilson Rowing Team
at the moment that these photos were taken... I think Wilson is still Wilson
last spring they changed the name from Woodrow Wilson to August Wilson
in an effort to keep the Wilson name while disassociating themselves with a racist past

maybe they could get the Wilson Ball company to sponsor the school to keep things under the Wilson name?


so... Friday afternoon I went downtown with this "new to me" camera
tried the new camera with some Street Photography
taking photos of cyclists is my thing
people and their bikes are one of my favorite subjects

people and bikes followed closely by my kids and my dog

pointing the camera at rowers happens at regattas...
but really not my comfort zone


so... on the bike I rode downtown
zig zagged around the city
poised at various spots trying to capture a photo of a passing cyclist
this effort can be like trying to catch a fish

in the winter... this Street Photography effort can be like ice fishing

now... this December has been mild
many modern day Decembers are mild
Climate Change
oh well... we used to get flurries and some snow before Thanksgiving
now we are wearing shorts in December

in these Covid Times there are fewer people downtown
so many people working remotely

the dwindling Messenger community continues to wain
maybe building some strength with the single business of Urban Stems which employs a number of messengers for both delivery and office work 



so... after a few photos in Dupont Circle... a few photos in Chinatown... a few photos with the US Capitol in the background I left off for Georgetown
figured I could snap a few shots of the Wilson Crew team from the shore

rolled up to Thompson Boat House
greeted the coach
acknowledged the rowers whose names I do not know
voiced my aim to snap a few photos
asked the coach which way they would be heading so I could prep for the photos

Coach Joe offered for me to ride in the "launch"
The Launch is the motor boat that the coach barks at the athletes from
WHAT!?!?!
ummm... sure... where do I put my bike? and hell yes?!??



the Macro lens was not the right lens for the day
but... it was the lens that I had


I was riding along as a passenger
the boat was moving to coach the team
not for my photoshoot
had I had a standard 50mm lens... this would have been a very different set of photos

I worked with what I had...

it was amazing... what a day!!!
the boats entered the water at roughly 4:45

it was practice...  not race day...
this was the first time in the boat after the team spent the entire month of November on the Erg
"The Erg" is the indoor rowing machine
fitness and strength are build on the erg and in the gym

then... in the boat the rowers need to transfer their indoor efforts to the actual rowing experience
dropping an oar in the water in sequence with the other rowers is another thing all together



it was a beautiful Friday night in December
the 4:45 start gave us some light as the boats pushed up stream from Thompson Boat House under Key Bridge on up towards Fletchers's Boat House

it was amazing to me...
I had intended on snapping a dozen shots from various points on the shore

this ride in the launch with the coach was giving me a whole new perspective


in the short time it took to stroke up stream to Fletcher's Boathouse the sun finished setting and day transitioned into night

the water was still
there was no wind
there were no waves
the water was like glass

the two 8 person sculls and the launch were the only water crafts on the water
no barges...
no party boats...
no stand up paddle boards...
no sit ontop kayaks...
and
no other rowing teams!

it was a beautiful serene scene
the only noise was Coach Joe barking orders over the megaphone

not being a boater per se I was a tad awkward in the boat
the lifejacket was a size too small
and I was in street clothes with my backpack
backpack with wallet, phone, and two cameras

the light fell quickly and I debated with playing with the setting on the camera
the Nikon D750 seemed to be responding fairly well to the low light settings
the second camera in my pack could have taken some shots from a different perspective
but I was not comfortable with playing with the settings on the boat
in hindsight
I should have put on my "readers" and set up the second camera to capture some shots from a different perspective
lessons learned... I showed up not knowing that my afternoon was going to be on the boat
all of this blind sighted me a bit

it was a plan that I had not prepared for

it was FANTASTIC! 

the night was beautiful
it was a joy to be on the water
it was really "neat" to get to ride with the coach and watch my son practice
as a senior my son Grant is currently the captain of the Wilson Varsity Crew team
in addition to that... he is one of the stronger rowers and he just earned the Stroke Seat
so... proud moment

in-between barking orders over the megaphone Joe and I had short exchanges
Joe coached my older son Dean and now coaches my younger son Grant
Joe told me stories about Dean
flattering my son with statements about Dean's athleticism and how he does not think he will ever get to have a rower as coachable as Dean
it made me proud

Proud of Grant in that moment... proud of Dean for his contribution when he was a rower a Wilson


I took a break from blogging for a few years there...
not as much on these topics as I would expect