A few IDEAS for Gearing Up Bicycles...


Gearin Up Bicycles
YOUTH - COMMUNITY - EMPOWERMENT
a bicycle coop in DC


go to their page for info on their location
and
how to volunteer, donate, or purchase a bicycle....




last week I volunteered at Gearin Up Bicycles 
it was an effort to get the New Shop location ready for a Bicycle Donation Day

worked with Keith the General Manager and other members of the Gearin Up Staff to get things ready
when I arrived... everyone was on task
so I just tried to be more of a help than a hinderance

rather than following Keith around like a lost puppy dog
I knocked out a few simple tasks by just taking the initiative

started with replacing a seat on a bicycle donation getting that bike ready for sale
then... I built a new kids bike out of the box
after that... I decided to help with some clean up in the shop
after emptying the trash cans
I saw the the back entrance could use some clean up

initially I thought I would pick up a few stray pieces of trash that had blown against the building
then I decide to clean up all the leaves and trash in the back parking space

it was really a pretty big task... I would have liked to have teamed up on this...

no... this is not what I wanted to do...
I wanted to "play with bikes"
but... this is something that looked like it "needed" to happen
so... I knocked it out

six massive trash bags filled with trash and leaves later
I had a sore back and a certain level of fulfillment

it seemed that things were better when I was leaving then they were when I arrived
which had me feeling pretty okay

then on top of my volunteer efforts
I had driven to Gearin Up rather than riding my bike
mainly so that I could drop off some bicycle stuff for donation

dropped off a old mountain bike frame with some parts that had been abandoned in the alley by my house
along with over a dozen old wheels\rims in various stages of "need"
 my trash... their treasure
I hope they can use this stuff... it was just taking up space in my brain and my yard...


it was all very busy while also being very casual
the shop had some good energy

there were about six repair stands
four or five of which were occupied for the full duration of the day

every person had a project

there was some energy and some excitement



in addition to dropping off some bike stuff and the clean up and builds
I also brought my cameras
yes... 
cameras

when I arrived I snapped a few shots
then before I left I snapped a few shots

then once home...
I went through my photos and shared some images on the Internet

sent a message out about the Gearin Up Donation Drive
through Facebook I got some friends thinking of donating outgrown kids bikes
then also...
on Slack I was able to get one of my DCMTB team members to volunteer

a few definite "yeses" 
worth a hundred "maybes"

having the time... I then decided I would volunteer on Saturday as well...

sent a text to Lauren the Development and Outreach Director to see if she needed assistance on bicycle pick up as I have an Honda Element and pulled the seats out of the back for hauling stuff
Lauren said to "just come by after noon... I can put you to work"
so... I decided I would swing through on Saturday afternoon



I showed up on Saturday late in the afternoon...
similar to days prior
I tried to show up and be helpful rather than in the way
immediately got involved on some tasks

Keith assigned an vintage Motobecane road bike
Keith wanted to swap out the rear derailleur for something more "period"
I got on the task

well... working on an old used bike has its quirks

the derailleur was missing a vital bolt...
which started the search...

without asking...
I worked to resolve the problem
as I went though the repair I turned to the "seasoned mechanics" 
when I saw the derailleur hanger was slightly bent
rather than just muscling things back into place
I located the appropriate tool for straightening the hanger
then enlisted the assistance from one of the mechanics

it had been "a minute" since I had used this tool... nice to get a refresher course

throughout the process I turned to the mechanics for tid bits of advice\guidance
as my touch with the tools is a little rusty

it has been a while since I have been working on my bikes
especially working on vintage "beater" bikes

but really...
I handled the repair without trying to pull anyone away from what they were doing
I found the gear cables... replaced the gear cable and also replaced one six inch piece of cable housing... dug through the bins of parts to find the missing bolt
was able to get things running and ready for sale



the day went about with my effort to assist
when I saw something needed a body
I leapt to the task
if there was a car pulling up trying to make a donation
I tried to assist... learning the process as I went along


it was good to help out...
it is good for the soul to volunteer
everyone should have some volunteer hours in their life
it makes for a better world

so... my days in the shop brought up a few ideas about what Gearin Up could do to make their shop better...

off the top of my head...
let me think of a few things

these are off the top of my head...
thoughts I have had
foolishly these are thoughts in my head and not notes on a pad



a few things that I believe should\could happen to make Gearin Up Bicycles a better operation...

Decorate the Exterior and Interior of the Building
bring in DC Muralists and paint the exterior and interior to warm the space
to draw attention to the space
to improve the exterior so it is an attractive store front that not only alerts passerby's about the presence of the shop
but attractive so that the people in the surrounding neighborhood feel good about having this program in their neighborhood

if not graffiti artists or muralists
the exterior can still be cleaned up
the property is not what it could be
a coat of paint can really help a space evolve

Increase the Shelving
Better Use of Storage Space
make use of the tall ceilings
the bikes piled up\leaning against each other could be better handled
there is some much space with the tall ceilings

MORE HANGERS!
FRAMES AND BIKES!!!

one suggestion I made...
reach out to various businesses for donations
Trek Bicycles recently bought two local bicycle chains
Spokes Etc. and Race Pace Cycles are becoming Trek Store
I would think that they would be getting rid of their bike display stands and other shop items so that they can configure a state of the art Trek Store of the future...

so... what is going to happen with their bike racks and display racks
 
my suggestion is that Gearin Up Bicycles reaches out to these various bicycle businesses to see if they get some of these display racks for FREE

Work with the City for Bicycle Donations
I am not sure if Gearin Up Bicycles already does this...
but it seems that there are a great many bicycles abandoned around the city
perhaps Gearin Up Bicycles can work with the city to get the bikes that are just liter on the streets
DC Police and NPS Park Police have rooms full of bikes that they have picked up
this could be a great resource
Metro may also have bicycles removed from the bicycle racks...

then also...
bicycles are taken to the DUMP
perhaps there could be a request that people at the DUMP set their bicycle trash to the side
maybe Gearin UP Bicycles could do weekly pick up of these old bikes
keep working bikes out of the landfill and on the streets


Bicycle Homework
increase the volunteer effort
offer up a "bicycle homework" program
allow people in the community to take home a bicycle... repair it... then return it...
this Bicycle Homework idea could be applied in a contest sort of way as well...

Custom Bicycle Repair Contest
there could be a contest where volunteers select a bicycle and bicycle parts
then they rebuild\refurbish that bicycle
only to be compared and then sold

people could clean up or even paint these bicycles
trick them out
make them super cool

Could Be Fun!!!

Bicycle Art
it is my understanding the Gearin Up Bicycles donates unwanted\unneeded bicycle parts to a local artist
maybe this artist or the program could have volunteers that make bicycle art
bicycle art that is made and sold at Gearin Up
Holiday Time... old wheels could become wreaths
old frame could be cut into wind chimes
etc. etc. etc.


and then...
I am not sure what Gearin Up Bicycles does with the local schools
it seems the Gearin Up Bicycles could have interns from local school
then also...
EVERY high school in the nation has students needing volunteer hours
this could be a good way to get volunteers and to partner with the community