Battleground National Cemetery... on Georgia Ave in DC!


SNOW DAY IN DC!

Crazy Weather in The District!
Springlike Day on Christmas
then... at the start of the new year
SNOW!


so... in an effort to enjoy by day and to be a good dog owner
when I left out to get some milk and toilet paper I took the dog along for the drive
just a city block or so past my local Safeway is the Battleground National Cemetery

National Park Service page with information about Battleground National Cemetery
 


Didg the Dog was STOKED to play in the snow
there had been no visitors to this diminutive cemetery that is virtually unknown 
not sure if this spot EVER gets any visitors

I brought my "new to me" Nikon D750 with its Macro Lens and tried to take a few shots
Didg was not entirely helpful with this task
not quite understanding the beauty shots I was trying to create
yet I tried

I am not really into the Civil War per se
but I am into history
especially history that surrounds me
so... this place appeals to me

when I hosted The Dead City Alleycat a few months back
I created a manifest for this messenger race such that the last bonus check point would be this spot
for this check point racers had to fulfill three tasks

Count the Eagles on the Flag Pole Base
Count the Grave Stones Surrounding the Flag Pole
and
Take a Selfie with the Gettysburg Address 

in my mind... I wanted to send racers to places that they had never been to before
in my mind when creating this race
I started the race in the day at 4:20
expecting the duration of the race to be such that racers would be in the dark when they got to this location

in my mind it would be fun and cool...
hopefully I achieved that
and
if it were not fun and cool... at least I sent racers to places that they had never been to before

Gwadzilla Mention of Dead City Alleycat