Deliveries are in the Rear...

"back in the day"
as the messenger population grew and grew
there was growth in the city
more business and new buildings with more and more clients

along with new buildings there came new rules

"Delivers are in the back"
was one of those rules

messengers often would have to enter through the rear
sometimes having to share the ONE freight elevator
rather than having an elevator bay
so frustrating to a messenger working on commission

and then...
No Messengers in the Lobby
and then lastly...
SIGNING IN!

the most obnoxious development of the messenger job was having to sign in...
well... I guess not being able to deliver the package and having to wait downstairs or outside was the most obnoxious development
but having messengers sign in was obnoxious because it was absurd

my favorite thing about rainy days was signing in
I would go to sign in... put my wet hand and sleeve on the signing sheet
tilt my helmet so it dumped water
the "concierge" would tell me to move along
but no... I AM SIGNING IN
Donald Duck!
then walk away