The Basset is CLOSED!


Poolesville Maryland...
not the Poolesville it once was...
Poolesville is New and maybe Improved
but really...
not all change is for the better


New Year's Eve was the Basset's Last Day...

the MoCo Show Announces the Basset's Closing


now... I am not a Poolesville local
I am not even a regular at The Basset
so... this loss is not my loss
but I do feel that when a community loses some of its old school flavor
part of that community dies


sure... Poolesville still has Dunkin Donuts and McDonalds
and well... my guess... something will replace the Basset
but Poolesville will never be the same
New Poolesville is slowly killing the memory of Old Poolesville

no... change is not always for the best

what should we expect from what happens with The Basset?

hopefully it is something that pleases the people of Poolesville

years and years ago my buddy Peter Coe managed The Basset
that is my memory of The Basset
I like to have an infrequent visit to The Basset... rarely planned... usually just happens
as The Basset reminded me of my old friend Peter Coe who died in a tragic accident decades ago

not only did Peter manage The Basset
Peter had a basset hound...

sad to see The Basset close
as it was nice for me to be reminded of my old friend Peter Coe
sadly... on my New Year Eve visit
my chance pop in on The Basset's last night
the woman behind the bar had only worked there for 4 years
so I did not drop my friend Peter's name
there was a time when I could exchange stories of Peter with the bar tender or a waitress
not this time
too much time has passed since Peter's passing

I have other Poolesville memories
but the memory of Peter Coe is one of the memories I cherish the most


I guess... now when I pass the spot that used to be The Basset
I can remember The Basset and Peter Coe
how things were... and the things that I miss...