The FIRST African American "Redskin" Cheerleader...

Laverne Johnson was the first African American Redskin Cheerleader...

a year ago today I was getting some Cheapie Chinese from my local Chinese Carry Out - Twin Dragon
its as the start of Covid
masks were the rule... but mask wearing had not yet become the norm
which made for the opportunity for conflicts 

here are some words from a Facebook post that just resurfaced as a "memory"...
I will edit and amend

I just had an interesting encounter at the Twin Dragon Carryout down the street...
there was the classic anxiety of people crowded inside the restaurant trying to pick up their food...
the noses showing above masks made my heart race...
there was one man who was illegally parked who had no mask... I requested him cover up... he was only as polite as he was due to his being on company time, in company gear, driving the company truck... ironically... this person and others in illegally parked vehicles were with a company called TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT INC. .... TMI? 
Yes, TMI... 
but really he was not polite... the interaction was not that comfortable... as it is rarely comfortable to try and tell another adult what to do... even if that thing is common sense\common courtesy 

well...
in this longer than I would care for it to be pick up experience...
I migrated from out front on the sidewalk with my dog to standing by the bullet proof glass wondering where my egg roll and soup were... 

I was just grabbing a snack... an egg roll and a soup since I was out of the house walking the dog
figured that it could be quick... it was not quick!

eventually a number of people left with their orders and I again went inside to check on the status of my order...

a couple came in who had ordered earlier and left had just returned to try and get their food...
a tall woman with a burgundy mask approached the window to see if her food was ready...
I caught a glimpse of the words on her mask "Redskins Cheerleader Alumni"

intrigued... I inquired...
she responded that yes she had been a Redskin Cheerleader...
not only was she a Redskin Cheerleader for a number of years... but she was the FIRST AFRICAN AMERICAN REDSKIN CHEERLEADER 

WOW!

Ground Breaking!

She was charming and charismatic...
although her face was hidden by the mask... I was shocked to hear that she started as a Redskin cheerleader in 1968... a year after I was born

that is her...
the tall one...
Laverne! Laverne Johnson!

nice little brush with a little history


since that moment...
The Washington Redskins have CHANGED THEIR NAME to the Washington Football Team
and
it is my understanding that there are no longer "cheerleaders"
but instead they are "dancers"