Water Quality?


Widewater at Old Angler's Inn


Growing up adults warned against the water quality of the C&O Canal and the Potomac River
I swam there anyway...

as a young child our family had a short time where we would kayak together
my brother and I were in a two person kayak
that exposed me to the water
then also... 
we would take the family dog to go swimming at Wide Water and other spots on the Potomac or the Canal

in these times...
I would often swim
ignoring the people who warned against swimming in these bodies of water
as many of these people also warned about he dangers about even going to the towpath or the canal
to me... I just felt that they did not know

rope swings..
cliff jumping...
just cooling off after a bicycle ride...
not only did I swim in these spots
when my kids were growing up... I allowed them to swim in these spots
always educating about the dangers and the importance of safety 
also keeping my kids alert to the rules and the potential for more than a wrist slap

as a child I lived my Tom Sawyer\Huck Finn adventures along the canal and the Potomac
so... when I raised my children
I shared theses same places with my kids
now as they are teenagers
they now visit these places with their friends without me