The President's Day Alleycat was Lincoln themed... that idea stems from the design by Asad Walker


above image by Asad Walker

ASAD Walker is a local artist and an old friend of mine...
in the fall when I told him about The Dead City Alleycat
ASAD offered up his creative talents to create a Spoke Card Image
it worked out perfectly...

in fact...
the logo was so cool... 
I got a tattoo from one of the event sponsors, Whistle Stop Tattoo
I was stoked to have my old friend Shawn Brown to put this image on my right calf
which had me approach ASAD about The President's Day Alleycat

then magically... 
totally unexpected I get a text
the text reads... 
"check your email"

I check my email and there it is
Abe Lincoln doing a one foot no handed track stand

SICK!

it was then decided
the The President's Day Alleycat would not be President themed
but instead
The President's Day Alleycat would be Lincoln Themed

yes...
16 Check Points for the 16th President
((there would actually be 3 bonus check points, but yes... 16))
and of course... only Five Bucks
and Lincoln is of course on the Five Dollar Bill
 


so... with the Spoke Card Logo\Image Created
I had my theme

Lincoln...
there were some obvious DC Lincoln stops
Lincoln Memorial... Lincoln Theater... Lincoln Park
but what else?
well... it turns out there was plenty of Lincoln to visit
leaving out The Lincoln Cottage... but managing to go to enough Lincoln locations to fill the manifest

one stop had a little sidebar
at The Lincoln Towers or maybe The Lincoln Apartments off Lincoln Park there was a photo Check Point
the photo was not of that apartment
but rather the house on the other side of the street with all sorts of yard decorations including a flag that reads RESIST TRUMP

seemed fitting for a President's Day Alleycat...


so with Asad Walker's artistic contribution came my Alleycat inspiration
my favorite check point being a Flattened Penny... as Lincoln is on the Penny... no dah!
I listed 10 or so places in the city that had one of these machines
some were at already existing check points
Think Ford's Theater
some were along a logical route
Think Union Station or The Spy Museum
other machines were miles and miles out of the way and illogical and potentially exhausting
think National Zoo or National Cathedral 

there were options...
and well...
that one check point was worth 100 points... those that missed it... missed out!

back to Asad
Asad has some DC art history



Asad Walker's online store... you can buy his art and even some t-shirts
including the Sugar Skull from the Dead City Alleycat