Why do people hate to be corrected when they are wrong?

 oh too often I see something online... usually Facebook

someone has shared something... 
I read it... 
it intrigues me... 
so I Google the topic and read a little further... that is the Rabbit Hole
then...
I will share what I learned to that Facebook post

sometimes that addition adds to the original post
other times
my addition refutes the original post

unfortunately...
this is some of what caused the Cultural Divide
the political views and ideas
so many lies were shared
and well...
in an effort to stop the spread of misinformation I would share my links

now me... I am thin skinned
often offended by being corrected
it burns
but... I listen and I learn
may not show it at the time
but I reflect on the conversation and modify my thinking with the new information

this is so often not the case on Facebook
and sadly... there are too many HEAVY FACEBOOK USERS who daily share information that just is not true
but... I am not anyone's editor... heck I would love an Intern to edit my copy... spell check and fact checker...

so... I read something about the inventor of Vic's
instead of sharing to that person's Facebook Page
I share it here

yes... so many of your details about Pharmacist Lunsford Richardson were correct
except for some key components

here is what I found on the Wiki Page
and then also... OUR STATE DOT COM