I Heart Natural Surface Trails... I enjoy hiking in the woods with my dog... I enjoy riding my bike in the woods... and I also enjoy trail work and trail maintenance

 


today while hiking with the dog I took some hand held hedge clippers
then left off for a small patch of woods near my house
Fort Slocum
it is part of DC's Fort Circle Parks

this is a small swath of land
just a portion of one city block
yet...
it is an oasis

the activity in the woods is amazing
not just the drinking... smoking... and teen sex
but the plants and animals
impressive bio diversity for such a small piece of land

today I just tried to manicure a half mile loop I built in those woods

felt good to work with the land
felt good to contribute

need to get in there with a rake

but just as in any project
baby steps are better than no steps at all

if you ride or hike
volunteer at trail day
or
just bring a bag and some gloves and pick up the trash next time you are out and about

check the MORE website for Trail Days in the local mountain bike community