Raced an Alleycat a few weeks back...


Gabe and Amos threw a July 4th Weekend Alleycat

ICE CREAM THEMED!

Ice Cream and BBQ Themed!


manifest was OUT OF ORDER
not broken
but 
Out of Order

racers had to decide the order that they complete the manifest

where do they go to first?
and
where do they go last?

these are the things that could determine the winner

the fastest cyclist with a bad route
well...
that would be an unlikely winner


race started at Logan Circle
in the CLASSIC COURIER STYLE it started late
for one of the oldest reasons to start an alleycat late
because one race was "on their way"

classic
totally classic


it is important to be ready for such things
late starts
imperfect manifests
etc. etc. etc.


it was great to get out and ride\race 
great to hang and play 

was stoked to see Amos and Gabe take a thought to action
they had wanted to host an event
they stepped up and made it happen

nice race
cool manifest

some fun check points

and 

great finishing spot with FREE food
THANKS CALVIN!


the race left out of Logan Circle without manifests
racers had to go to Scott Circle to get their manifests
then...
then the chaos started

that confusion...
adrenalin wants the body to move
hard to use the brain

how to solve the riddle?

what does this manifest ask of the racers?
where to go first... next... etc... and so on and so forth


at Scott Circle I did a quick review of the manifest
I reviewed one side of the manifest
then flipped it
then I reviewed the other side of the manifest

there was at least on racer who did not flip the manifest
they completed side one with speed and efficiency
but really... 
that is like sprinting the Hundred Yard Dash at the start of a Marathon
that first hundred yards is not much of an indicator of a person's potential marathon time for that day

as I scanned the manifest I had an idea of how I was going to attack the day
people were leaving Scott Circle fast
cyclists leaving in various directions

sure... 
SCOTUS was a lonely location on the far side
that could be the first stop
but... I had a different idea

in my mind
I felt that the Statue at E Street was a good place to start
then to Georgetown
onto Mount Pleasant
knocking out various checkpoints along the way

I shouted out to veteran messenger Timmy
telling him my plan
asking him his plan
we left off together and reviewed the manifest in our heads
discussing things

making sure that our path was efficient 
making sure we do not pass any check points that would force us to backtrack


in these situations it is difficult to know where you are in the race during the race

racers might meet up by chance at a checkpoint
but if they are taking different routes
they could be at very different stages at the race

at the Bicycle Pro Shop in Georgetown where these photos were taken all sorts of people collected

just as SCOTUS was a potential first check point because it was the furthest East Checkpoint
The Bicycle Pro Shop was the furthest West Checkpoint

hitting either of these first and then looping back had its elements of logic
but...
it really might make more sense to hit some of the other check points while heading to those checkpoints
so the route back can be fast and efficient
while focusing on other check points

leaving out of Georgetown in a pack
Timmy and I had identical manifests
at this time we had formed an allegiance of sorts
debating the route as we rode
each of us contributing

leaving out of the Pro Shop we climbed towards Volta
this was logical for us
but...
for some of the others
they might have wanted to handle things differently
as a number of racers had missed the M Street Ice Cream Shop

instead of hitting Volta first...
maybe backtracking to M Street... then up Whiskey to another Ice Cream Shop and then Volta could have been better...
but no matter
the most logical would have been to have already knocked out M Street

it seemed as if Timmy and I were running an efficient route
maybe not the fastest top speed

at this moment in time
not only am I returning from an Achilles injury
but I was racing this race on my mountain bike
not just a mountain bike
but a mountain bike with PLUS SIZE TIRES

so...
while I was on a bike weighing roughly 30 pounds
Timmy was running a road bike with skinny tires and a 20 pound bike
so... not only is Timmy more fit and more fast
my choice of "ride" disadvantaged me even more


the day was hot...
I had two water bottles
those bottles were emptied fast
no need to stop and pee

all water was exiting my pores as quickly as I could pour more water down my throat

neat and clean
no need to backtrack
everything was falling into place

the Georgetown checkpoints were cleared out
as we pointed to Mount Pleasant we hit the Conn Ave. Stop
then up to MTP
at each check point we encountered other races leaving as we arrived
or arriving as we left

it was not clear how we were doing

on the streets we passed racers going the opposite directions

after Mount Pleasant we continued across town
trying to knock out the check points on the high side of this hill
Georgia Ave... then Warder Street

I was pleased to refill my water bottles in Mount Pleasant
it was good to get more refreshments at Warder Place

it was hot... I was feeling it

at Warder Place Timmy and I paused
there was some discussion
we were in an odd little oasis
far away from everything

Timmy wanted to go downhill to knock out the U Street and 14th Street Checkpoints
I felt that SCOTUS was our best option
after some debate
Timmy agreed that there were check points close to the finish that could be hit after SCOTUS
so we left off together

Timmy is definitely FAST AND FURIOUS
well... 
Timmy is Fast
and
I and Furious

Timmy is faster than me...
he is also a tad more aggressive than me
the lines he chose in traffic were a little more old school
sure...
I run the lights and I cut the lanes
but
I also like the separated bike paths and the protected bike lanes
Timmy does not think in these terms

there were moments when people were trying to run Timmy over
and 
Timmy was not bothered
Timmy held his line
always without incident and without conflict 

at SCOTUS I was feeling it
once again my water bottles were empty and I was feeling a bit depleted 

Timmy had received a number of text messages
Timmy had to return to work
I felt would be foolish for Timmy to not finish the race
in my mind... I felt that Timmy and I had knocked things out fast and efficiently

I petitioned Timmy to finish the race...
just three checkpoints
all within a few blocks of the finish at Solly's Tavern on U Street
Xavier on the E-bike hung back with me

oh...
I never mentioned
this guy Xavier hung with Timmy and I from the Pro Shop on
it was only mildly irritating to have the eBike in our shadow
knowing he had missed the M Street Ice Cream Shop and maybe the E Street Statue pick up had me less concerned... at least his chasing our shadow would not put him in the top five

sweat soaked and winded I finished things up

at The Smoke Shop pick up... Nick W. asked me where the finish was
I still needed the 14th Street pick up 4 Blocks away
rather than tell him Solly's across the street
I told him to check the manifest


arriving at the finish there was some confusion

it is not clear if the manifest were scored correctly... or at all

Amos and Gabe were working in tandem
but...
having the two of them accepting the finishers might have transposed things
then also
I am not sure if they used a magnifying glass when grading the papers
it would not be without reason that someone finished with an incomplete manifest
but was not downgraded for such
as the finish can be overwhelming

I know this... I have been there

when Gabe and Amos talked about hosting an event
I warned them of my tale of woe
the unpleasant responsibility of grading papers while everyone else parties
finishing order should be the easiest way to grade things
but
if and only if
if and only if the manifests are complete and correct

sure enough...
when I arrived I learned that TIMMY HAD WON!

CONGRATULATIONS TIMMY!

when I arrived at the finish Timmy was smiling...
but really 
smiling is Timmy's default setting
Timmy was basking in the glow of victory

I was stoked that Timmy had WON!
GET IT TIMMY!

in thanks for our team work effort
Timmy gave me half of his first place prizes
THANKS TIMMY!
you did not need to do that!

then Timmy left off and went back to work

GOOD TIMES!

THANKS AMOS!
THANKS GABE

Wonderful Race!

When is the Next One? 




I rode with the camera
snapped some photos before\during\and after



above photos by Kevin Dillard

Kevin Dillard of Demoncats


last photo by John Dinn
John Dinn of Pibble Racing