some people "play" too much... sometimes I "play" too much...

in an effort to be funny I say things
sometimes these things are funny
sometimes things I say are not found to be funny
sometimes I am the only one who gets the joke

as a father I tried to instruct my children on these failures in humor
that if the joke is only funny to you... maybe you should not tell it
or
if you have to follow the joke with "just kidding"
then maybe those words do not need to be said

that said...
I am not the only one who plays too much

recently I offended a person who I respect and consider a friend
in the effort to be funny I pushed the boundaries of comedy
blending truth and the obscure 
to create something that I thought was funny... but the recipient of the joke did not like the joke

not liking the joke was an understatement

understandable... the joke was in poor taste

but really... it was not all that

knowing that the joke was not well received I tried to backtrack and apologize
no apology accepted

so...
I backtrack a few months prior
I am hosting the 420 Alleycat
a the Don Juan's checkpoint I am trying to snap a few photos of the checkpoint
trying to get a shot of Kelvin and his dad in front of Don Juan's
in that fast transition at this Alleycat Checkpoint
an Alleycat that I am in the process of hosting
one of the people hanging out at the race grabbed a Super Soaker squirt gun and tried to shoot me
not trying to soak me
but spraying me just the same

this person is a photographer by trade
I mentioned the camera
he joked about it being submersible
then continued to spray my way
risking my Fuji X100... a camera in the thousand dollar range

I did not like the Super Soaker joke
I was the butt of the Super Soaker joke
that joke was funny to the person with the Super Soaker
but maybe that joke was not funny to anyone else

well...
I did not get upset
I just tried to protect the camera
was I pleased with that behavior
no...
was I so upset to throw a tantrum?
no...

water off a duck's back

I did not like the joke
I did not appreciate the joke
I did not see any humor in the joke
but I tried not to over react
tried to keep my emotions in check
tried not to be too reactive

camera was fine...
but the actions were not appreciated

just as the joke was not appreciated
the joke in either case may have not been found to be funny

some people play too much
some times... I play too much