I can be petty... I enjoy a thank you... be that thank you for holding a door open for someone or doing something somewhat larger...

 


this year I hosted a number of Alleycats
a few in the spring and then a couple in the fall

these races were filled with prizes
in my mind... I would like to think that I gave proper thanks to the sponsors
sure... I have some prize bags that I meant to pass off to some sponsors
still want to make that happen
but...
messages were sent voicing my thanks

and then... 
after thanking the many sponsors
I took a good bit of race table swag and gifted items to a local cycling program
when passing off the bag of SWAG there was a quick exchange with the program director
the exchange was less than a handshake
not sure if I even heard the word "thanks"
later that week I fished for a compliment and a thanks
thinking... maybe after opening the boxes and bags they might be more appreciative
so... I sent a link for a Grant through Park Tools
that got a thumbs up... but still no thanks for the goods

then this week while out and about doing my BikeShare mechanic thing I saw this bike program in action
so... I took a second to say hello
introduced myself... made mention of the bag\boxes of swag
still fishing... still not getting the thanks I was looking for
so I got petty

the instructor in the program had the kids gathered on bikes
a few kids did not have their chin straps on
a child rolled up without a helmet
and
and this is a big and
AND
the instructor was not wearing a helmet

so... I called out the kids with the chin straps
made mention of the helmet less rider
when actuality
I was being passive aggressive about the helmet less instructor

by example seems like a good place to lead

and 
I took into account all the various hair styles that this all African American group of cyclists had and I thought about the difficulties of wearing a helmet with these various hair styles
but quickly reflected on the notion of helmets and hair
it seems that people in the NFL have all sorts of hair styles
and
somehow they still manage to wear a helmet

with that moment behind me and this post here
this program is behind me
I reached out
I gave
and 
I am done

no more bitterness on the topic
no emotion
no concern
it is as if I held the door open for someone... they walked through without a thank you...
that person is gone and so is that moment
no reason to carry it with me any longer

my efforts and actions will go elsewhere
and
I will keep my mouth to myself if I see this group our riding again