Garage Races Returned After Covid... but for two nights instead of 5... I will admit... I was repelled from the event due to all the attention to the JUST FOR FUN\ANYTHING GOES Costume Race...

 


WaPo Coverage of the Garage Races

"When I was a young teenager one of my best friends told me that he thought that I could take the fun out of Wiffle ball... I did not understand what he meant until decades later
I can't even look at the article... I loved the Garage Races for the garage races... this just for fun costume thing is a wacky sidebar that I can do without...
if saddens me to see a four evening race series with an added evening of humor has become more about frivolity than bikes
going to one night of racing and one night of wackiness
I am not a serious bike racer, but I did like the bike race aspect of this event while I was repelled this year because of the focus on the Anything Goes event with all the costumes and whatnot
sorry... I guess having never played Wiffle ball I am not sure how I would effect the fun
but I do know... when I play croquet... I am there to play croquet... what I am wearing is not the most important part of the day
here are the photos of the Mario Cart race in Crystal City "

that Facebook Post took on some negative responses... I did not get into a debate with my friends who commented... but I did listen and reflect


the above post was not backpedaling...
but rather some insight
lots of response from others who also have issue with costumes
even if I might wear a costume... it does not remove the awkwardness of it all

but yes...

I WAS NOT THERE!
my insight to the situation is from the keyboard
since I was not there... how much do I really know
well...
I know what I know
and
I voiced my emotion
I voiced my opinion
and
my emotion and my opinion are true to me




I HEART THE GARAGE RACES
Bill and Crosshairs Cycling put on an amazing event
the same team that co-hosts DCCX is the promoter of the Crystal City Garage Races
now...
if there were a local team focus on achievement... Crosshairs with its development team is pinnacle

I watched the races from my computer
excitedly I read over the results
the competition in each and every category was top notch
fast wheels in each class

yet... the costumes get the attention
the sidebar becomes the main event
or
so it seems



I am bummed that I missed this
maybe my opinion was tainted by my sour grapes
my life\work schedule did not allow me to race at the 2023 incarnation of the Garage Races
I had raced at each and every incarnation of the Garage Races since their inception
and
before Crosshairs took over the Garage Race
I was part of the team that organized the Diamond Derby
where I was a contributing member of course design
and then
I was the designer and host of the kids' course


yes... I missed it
I was not there
so... what do I know
well... I know what I feel
and
I voiced what I felt




glad that Bill and Crosshairs were able to host these races
people waited with great anticipation
including myself
so... I am glad that this event happened
stoked for all that attended or went to hang out

what a great gathering!

but

BUT

I am still less than excited about the stress on the costumes and such
I see similar such things at other cycling events

sure... people can run a marathon while juggling
but, do marathon promoters need to draw in more juggling marathoners?
and
should the media\press focus on the jugglers or the athletes?

the same would go for a rower in a duck suit
sure...
a rower in duck suit is a fun photo op
but... should that rower in costume get more press than the top finishers?
if the only press about the event is the rower in the duck suit
then there is a misconception about the sport


Garage Races on Gwadzilla Page

CHASE THOSE LINKS