No Mow May... not just an excuse to not mow the lawn

 


NO MOW MAY
everyone loves No Mow May
lots of people who participate in No Mow May also participate in No Shovel The Walk
and...
No Mow May is about more than getting an excuse not to mow the lawn

I like the concept of No Mow May
but honestly... I am not sure I will survive it
I mowed the law the first weekend of May in preparation
leaving a patch of already starting to flower plants in the yard
yet it is unlikely I will be able to last until the end of the month without firing up the mower

maybe there should be an effort to increase gardens of native species that flower in early spring

NATIVE PLANTS

now... I guess if by not doing something we end up doing something
that is awesome
but what about doing something intentionally

what about planting Native Species?
what about planting and assortment of native pollinators in the yard?

currently I am working to increase the plant diversity in my lawn
giving up much of the grass in my backyard 
trying to bring in plants
working with getting FREE plants from my neighborhood BUY NOTHING group

admit-ably 
the plants I am putting in my yard are NOT all Native Species
a good percentage of the plants are native species
unfortunately...
most of the FREE Buy Nothing plants are just what is available
and I figure more plants are better than just a few native plants

I would like to increase the variety of flowering grasses in my yard
clover would work
but I think there are more choices than just clover
oh... crimson clover
no... really... there are way more options!