None of my business... but anyway...

 


the other day I was taking a break from my CaBi bike mechanic gig in Logan Circle
as I hydrated and applied sunscreen for the afternoon I noticed some people were playing some catch in the park behind me

there were two young woman... age unknown to me... but younger than me... young adults
as I am not of an age that one might call "old"

I watched as the young woman awkwardly threw their "discs" back and forth
golf discs

this had me thinking that I could "help"

left the bench and walked over to their game
introduced myself and asked them about their discs
they said they tried going to play disc golf... but when they got to the course they learned that it was BYOGD
Bring Your Own Golf Disc
so... they bought an assortment of golf discs

I tried to explain that Golf Discs are for throwing and not for catching
they agreed that it hurt to catch
tried to explain that playing catch is not what these discs are designed for
admitted the I am more an Ultimate Disc thrower 
admitting that I own a dozen golf discs but tend to just play with an Ultimate disc

we talked... the women were receptive

I spoke about area disc golf courses...
tried to explain that that the discs had different purposes
maybe identifiable by the lip of the disc
"that looks like a driver"
"that could be a putter"
"that might be a mid range disc"

they listened... 
I explained a way that they could play a game of disc golf using the trees as the "hole" instead of the metal baskets

then we said our goodbyes
I went back to my bench
they went back to playing catch with the golf discs

the game of Bocce has balls
but...
those balls are not designed for playing catch
sure you can play catch with Bocce Balls
but that is not what they are designed for
and
there are balls better built for the task 

same goes for the golf disc