Back from Boston... went to catch some of the Head of the Charles and hang out with my sons Dean and Grant...


Ah... Boston
PEAK FALL FOLIAGE IN NEW ENGLAND
beautiful time of year to visit
wonderful scenery on the roadside on the drive up from DC

Grant is at his second year at Boston University
Rowing on the Varsity squad
very proud
very very proud

last weekend was the Head of the Charles
so...
I drove up 9 Hours to see 6 seconds of his race
because that is what you get to see when standing on the shore of a rowing regatta
you can see the start.. the finish... or something in between
but only the short span of them approaching and passing

classically... I cheer for the wrong boat\wrong school
because so many teams wear the same colors

my older son Dean traveled down from Syracuse to support
which added to the weekend fun

Dean traveled down with his Syracuse housemate\friend Jack
both of which rowed for Syracuse for a few years
Jack is from the Boston area
Jack's parents were kind enough to host me for the weekend
thanks Tracy and John 


it was a great weekend...
sure the drive was one of Dante's levels of hell
but it was worth it
sure... then... Saturday\Grant's race day it rained
but that was fine... I had an umbrellas

all would have been better with a plan
yet it all worked out

Dean and I walked the course and cheered for Grant
then met him at the BU boathouse after their race finish
we then went back to Grant's dorm room so people could change
we chilled\regrouped\Grant played his new Fender Strat
then we went for Thai food 
the Hot and Sour soup was perfect for this wet and cold day

the area surrounding the BU Campus offers lots of great eating options
many of which are quality Asia restaurants of various nationalities


it was good to gather
it was fun to tag along with this crew
Grant enjoyed his visitors
Dean and his friends being there upped the fun factor

Dean and Grant are AWESOME!


Saturday Evening I left off for Jack's parents' house
the boys went out
college
I am not sure of the details of their evening


Sunday...
met Grant at the BU Boathouse
got to greet and cheer on the BU V8 as they launched
got to snap some photos
got to say hello to the coaches and express my appreciation 

wanted to stay longer
would have loved to hang out more
would have loved to watch more rowing
but had to hit the road

LONG DRIVE
especially solo
should have stayed a third night
SO MUCH TRAFFIC

Wonderful Trip!

important for me to gather with my boys
especially with the void in their lives with their mother gone
their mother loved them each very much
she was very attentive
she was very involved 

I will not try to fill her shoes
although I have the calves
I do not have the ankles to walk in heels

I will be me
I will run plays from my play book