rats... dc rats... I guess it is a fact of the city... there are rats in the city...

 


RATS!

I have no love for rats
living in DC I have had various battles with rats
in Mount Pleasant I fought them from coming into the house
it was a never ending battle

finding the entrances
killing them off
sealing the holes again and again
traps... poisons... more traps

now in Manor Park I have again fighting rats

along with my fight
my neighbor across the street is fighting the rats
but he is fighting them for entertainment
he and his dogs chase the rats every night

so...
my neighbor walks his dogs and goes to the alley behind my house
he shakes the trash cans
he pokes at the trash with a stick
and his dogs chase

it is an interesting game
it amuses me as he brings his toddler grandson with him to enjoy the game

but the game can be annoying
as the noise stirs my dog
my dog barks
my dog wants to go out and defend the yard

but... it if kills rats
maybe it is worth it
maybe

so this week I had an amusing occurance  

when I got home from work there was a dead rat on my sidewalk in my front yard
dead center on my sidewalk between my house and the street
random?
I thought about it
figured it was the guy across the street

then a day or two later
there was a box in my back yard
when I opened the box
I JUMPED
there was a dead rat in the box

okay... two dead rats

but... these are not the BIG DADDY RATS 
the Alpha or whatever
they can catch and kill the young
but the old ones remain

I have filled holes
blocked gaps

if more holes and burrows appear
the next effort will be dry ice

it is nice that my neighbor and his dogs are having some success (and fun) with the rats
but
I am not certain that I need proof
I can just take his word for it