Between jobs... again... no longer working as a mechanic for Capital BikeShare... I was "let go" a few week ago...

 


so... after over two years as a Field Bike Mechanic for Capital Bikeshare
I am again looking for work
it was good when it was good
but it was not always good
such is the nature of the beast 

the Field Bike Mechanic job for Capital BikeShare was a unique gig
I worked as a mobile mechanic
assigned to different "zones" each day in or around the city
which made for some interesting days of exploring the city on bike

there were some hassles...
the weather...
it can rain... it can be cold... it can be hot... it can be windy...
lots of junk miles
slow pedaling on a bike with saddle bags

why was I let go?
I was let go for doing something that everyone on the Field Bike Mechanic crew does...
slow to get to the first job
which is a bit of a riddle... as I tried to explain why this behavior was normal before I got tagged for it
as the morning has to start in such a way that we ease into the day

there was the morning check in at 8AM
the team then were involved in a Call Out for Zones
once the zones were assigned I went through a morning routine
making sure the bike is ready to roll... so basic air in the tires\lube on the chain... 
important things to keep up with... especially with rain and weather
then replenishing supplies... filling bottle of lube, seat post clamp bushing, grips, etc.
replacing supplies that diminished the day prior 
and then also...
checking the weather... then packing and dressing appropriately for the days' weather 
and lastly
finish coffee...  go to the bathroom
and 
apply sunscreen 
oh... and check work email for important announcements 

then after this...
ride from the warehouse to the assigned "zone"
"zones" are usually 30 minutes to an hour from the warehouse 

I was tagged for taking too long to go from the warehouse to my zone to work on my first bike in my zone
tried to explain my actions
but they wanted my fired due to conflict with management 
my actions were justified
the warehouse bathroom was not fit for man or beast
so... I would go home
two blocks from the ware house 
at home I would handle my morning pre-work routine 
shitting, stretching, and applying sunscreen definitely made more sense to happen at home

yes... I was slow to get to my first bike in my zone
but... 
this was a behavior that was common amongst ALL of the Field Bike Mechanics

so...
why did I get fired?

my believe is this...
the Monday of the week that I got fired there was a team meeting
we were having team meetings every Monday
in this meeting a member of Upper Management came to speak to the Field Bike Mechanics
upon arrival she sent us to get some donuts
when we returned with the donuts the meeting started

these were good donuts
gourmet donuts
really good donuts

in this meeting this member of Upper Management spoke about how our schedule would be changing
that we would no longer get a lunch break
that our days would soon be a half hour shorter
to those working four ten hour days... their weeks would be four hours shorter
and those working the 5 with hours a day would lose 4.5 hours
which over the year would add up to lots of hours and lots of money 

it all happened pretty fast

I listened... the team listened...
this was not new information to me
I had READ the message in our work Outlook
I already knew about this schedule change

but... I was not sure if my coworkers understood what was being said
there was talk about the change in schedule
but there was no mention what this change in schedule meant in terms of pay
to me it was obvious
it also seemed clear to me that those in the room may not grasp that we were being distracted by donuts and may not be aware that this change in schedule would be a cut in our already meager yearly salary 

so... I spoke up

I made mention to the manager something about the donuts...
as said... it all happened fast
"these are great donuts, but... I am not sure if I can used these donuts to pay my mortgage"
this opened a can of worms
the Upper Manager responded
tried to say that the donuts were a reward for the work done the month prior
I tried to make the point known to the workers that this change in hours would reduce our wages
saying something about how I felt that this change in hours more than likely would reverse the pay raise we received a month earlier

my playful joke about the donuts turned out to be a back and forth between myself and this member of Upper Management
they were defensive... they were argumentative... 
they stormed out like an ex-girlfriend

later that morning I tried to say something when passing this member of Upper Management in the warehouse
she ignored as she strutted aggressively away

at the end of the week there was a Letter of Termination in my work email

not the terms I wanted to leave this job
I was ready to leave
maybe it was the push I needed to get out 
but really
these were not the conditions I wanted to leave under 

ironically...
I was a good worker
much of my error was that I was fighting for a better system
which made me a problem child
I had locked horns with management before
I was often sending emails making requests and recommendations
on top of that I had filed a number of "grievances" against management through the Union
so...
my being a good worker was outweighed by me being a problem child to management

not bitter
not angry
just unemployed 

applied or Unemployment and was denied