Alleycat Race Report: As I always start my race reports... too much time has passed to remember the details... in this case... it has been too much time... much much too much time... yet I will try...

 




ah... June 23rd
that was several Sundays ago
without a copy of the manifest it will definitely be difficult to recall the events of the day
but...
I think I can recall the meat of the message

RACE REPORT: Paul Joyner's Sister City Alleycat - DC - BERN (Switzerland)
it was several weeks ago
hard to recall the details
let me see what the keyboard can deliver
the fingers move fast hope my brain can keep up
something will appear on the page
the photos are are a reminder
if only I had a copy of the manifest

it was hot... just as it was hot today... it was hot that day...
99 Degrees Hot... I think I read it hit 100 Degrees that day!
First 100 Degree Day in some time!

the event was set to start in the mid day heat
1:00 Registration 2:00 Race Start
these summer days are not cooling until late in the evening
the only way to avoid the heat is to stay in the house

the specifics of the day are gone
I remember that I was distracted
the early part of the day was spent doing some house stuff... basic clean up... catching up on laundry... dishes etc.
oh... of course... there was some photo book stuff...
but no bike stuff
I had not gathered my gear
I had not taken a look at my bike 
and
I was panicked as I could not find my wallet
it is disconcerting to be disconnected from one's wallet

the clock was ticking
although I had intended to show up just minutes before the race start
the clock was approaching 2PM and I had yet to find my wallet... I had yet to LEAVE the house... 
then I found my wallet... of course... it was right where I put it...  right where I put it, but hidden under my laptop... it was so close to 2 o'clock I feared I would miss the start
I hesitated... I tried to back down... as I expressed hesitation my 20 year old son Grant gave me a push not to back down

so... already in my riding gear... I slapped my helmet on my head... my pack on my back... a studded belt with a hip pouch... grabbed my bike and took off for the Spanish Steps

it was a hot spin to get from house in Manor Park to Spanish Steps in Kalorama just north of Dupont
I pedaled fast in an effort to warm up, but tried not to over exert myself
upon arrival I was put at ease... the race had yet to start
from the way everyone was scattered about it was clear that we were no where near starting the race 

heavily caffeinated and somewhat anxious I registered
passing off a zip lock bag with five dollars worth of quarters
a bag full of quarters that I had gathered as I had been unable to find my wallet
I tried to get a read on things
as it turns out Paul was no where near starting the race
in the classic courier style... the race of a culture that prides itself in making its deliveries on time is once again starting their event late...

so... I started in with some socializing

as I socialized I tried to get a read on things
who was there?
who might be the top racers?
Bigs? Sleazy G? Bruce?
who else?
not Dario... Dario was there, but without a bike... in street clothes with his son Josh - showing support but not racing

no Nate... no Gabe... No Vik... lots of vacancies... but still lots of bodies

lots of people were there
lots of people were absent 

there was Ron Cassie
I knew Ron from when I wrote a mountain bike column for Spokes Magazine
Ron kept a cycling column for Spokes and was a former messenger
Ron had contacted me about an article he was working on for Washingtonian Magazine
I had shared with him this Alleycat event, the Ruff News Time Trial, and the names of people who may be worth interviewing
it was good to see him
I approached him and we talked
then Ron introduced me to a photographer from Washingtonian... I posed for a photo... people remarked with questions why I was wearing two shirts... 

I take a glance at my bike
oh no... the FSA Gossamer cranks are missing a critical piece that keeps the cranks locked down
Suave and I discuss it
we agree that it should hold for the day

time passed... more time passed...
it was hot... I had already finished most of my water 
then I realized... 
I only had one bottle... I had forgotten the second bottle that I had filled... I would definitely need more water
it would be unlikely to be able to refill the one water bottle while racing

the race had not started and I was already out of water
that was not going to work on this Bangkok Hot hot day

still anxious... still panicked 
checked with Paul to see if I would have enough time to get something to drink
yes... great... there was time... 
Sleazy G pointed me to the Walgreens just a few blocks away
purchased a Gatorade and a large bottle of Smart Water
perfect... got to stay hydrated

more time passed... too much time... too much standing around... 
gotta iron that shit out
glad I did not show up at One PM
then it happened
Paul Joyner had finished giving details to his Check Point Volunteers
Check Point Volunteers were off to their assignments
except for Melissa Fredrix... her scooter would not start... oh... wait... it started... People Cheered - Melissa was off and moving...

there was a pre-race meeting
not sure what was said other than that the manifest would be picked up at the first checkpoint
The Embassy of Switzerland at the 2900 Block of Cathedral 
we were off
Bigs ran it up the stairs of the Spanish Steps carrying his bike
while the rest of us rolled downhill and then looped towards Florida Avenue and onto Connecticut Avenue

it was good to get the race started
it was good to be moving
these moments are fun
very often the racers get separated 
in this moment we were all racing for the same point

Where was Vik to capture the action on his 360 Degree video camera?

I was somewhere near the back of the pack
although I had talked to Bruce about my racing with him and Ron Cassie
I was riding alone... at the back of the pack
trying to steer clear of trouble 
spinning my low geared One By Nine

Bruce on one of my Tall Bikes



at 2900 Cathedral all the racers arrived at essentially the same time
Melissa handed out the manifests
people entered addresses into their phones
allegiances compared logical trajectories 
taking a glance it seemed pretty clear cut
a bunch of addresses scattered about the city
addresses out of order... it was the racers duty to create a logical order and a logical route
there would be selfies and manned checkpoints
we would get signatures at the manned checkpoints

in my mind I created the basic order
ready to modify if need be
with the Georgetown Finish some of the checkpoints would already be shuffled to end
a Rosslyn Checkpoint would logically be last
the Lady Bird Johnson statue before that
and
the 1300 Block of Connecticut Avenue would be FIRST

with that much information I had the basic idea of my race
then I took a measure of my first three stops and tried to memorize them so that I would not have to be checking and rechecking my manifest 

on the bike and down the hill
Ron Cassie, Legend Bruce, and myself took off down the hill together
we zigged and zagged down the hill 
we were shocked that no one chased us
my guess is that the younger racers are GPS\smart phone Navigation dependent
not me... for me it is intuitive... my brain is my navigation device 

timing lights and avoiding danger
I turn to Bruce... "Under or Over Dupont"
Bruce says "OVER"
which makes sense... going under would push us just past the destination

in my head I thought about the first Checkpoint
echoing in my head I recited a classic courier phrase
"when headed to the Capital Even Addresses on the Right\Odd Addresses on the left"
this address would be on the left hand side of the block
just past Dupont Circle

I arrive at the first checkpoint first... get the signature... by the time I am putting my manifest and pen in my hip pouch Ron and Bruce are on their bikes, off the sidewalk,  and headed to our next checkpoint... 1333 H Street...  
as we depart the checkpoint volunteer says something to the effect of Jesus Be With You
rather than mouth off some atheist bullshit... I take it... it is hot... why not take his well wish with a Catholic spin... my mother is heavy on the  Jesus and can not say three sentences without some sort of mention of God or Jesus

it is uneventful... basic movement though traffic
all of us trying to take fast fluid lines
always trying to maintain speed 
never wanting to pause for Red Lights, Pedestrians,  or anything else

the three of us are older than most of the other racers
older and perhaps more experienced
each of us taking calculated risks
but maybe not as many risks as the younger racers

we arrive at H Street 
another manned checkpoint another signature
then we are off
staying on H Street we are moving towards Chinatown and the Chinatown arch

Classic Capture of Syd at Work in Chinatown

as we roll through Chinatown I ask Bruce where he is heading next.. where we are headed next... he says North Capital
North Capital?
I say... what about 700 K Street?
Bruce says North Capital Street
I say... what about 700 K Street
the number streets are counting down
we are at 6th then 5th then maybe 4th and H Street by this time
Bruce is a veteran messenger... he is ignoring my input
I ask him to check his manifest
Bruce says... 700 K
we loop back

other racers are there... Brian Clark aka Bigs gives us the tip so we do not need to read the manifest
"Photo with the Crab"
Bruce is ignoring Bigs
Bigs says it again...  "Photo with a Crab" we all take a selfie
Bruce grumbles and fidgets with his phone 
Bruce and technology do not mix



on the bike and off to GPO\Governmental Printing Office
Governmental Printing Office? What a throw back!
memories upon memories drift through my brain
all the documents picked up from the GPO and the Senate Document Room

getting banned from the Senate Document Room for using tourists to get me document releases so I could get more than one copy... trying to beat the one copy of any one document per hour

then also... there was the memory that I was the first person civilian to get a copy of the Kenneth Starr Report... most of the racers today were not even born yet when Clinton was in office and I was working as a motorcycle messenger for CBS News tailing Monica Lewinsky

the manifest says take a photo of the G Street Entrance of The Government Printing Office
we take a photo at a doorway on G Street... we loop the building
Bruce is frustrated... Bruce is not feeling that the photo at G Street is what PJ is asking for
I take a photo of G Street and the front entrance on North Capital Street
Ron and Bruce go to H Street
I think Ron worked for Congressional Courier... maybe he wants to go down memory lane
it is not clear what they are doing

I stuck with Bruce and Ron as we passed 700 K and had to loop back
I was done looping back... I wanted to move forward
the next stop was on the 1300 block of H Street NE
it made sense to leave straight out of the GPO across the street and up the overpass behind Union Station on H Street

I broke my allegiance with Ron and Bruce taking off on my own

it was hot... I tried to hydrate... but for the most part I hammered 
taking occasional sips of the water bottle that is in the handlebar feed bag
Sleazy G Passed me on the overpass as we crossed behind Union Station
no worries... Sleazy G is faster and more fit
Sleazy G is one of the wheels to beat... since his first Alleycat he has been bitten by the Alleycat bug... often winning these races

gotta let him go and race my own race



then Dave P passes
Fast and Friendly Dave or so his Instagram say
Dave is riding with Greg (Sleazy G)
just as I was riding with Bruce

Dave rides with Greg like a lamprey swims with the shark
Dave goes where Greg goes
with little care or concern for much other than staying close
he is there for the fun... the day... not the results... 

they pass me as I get stuck pinned between a line of cars and the curb as I am obstructed by a wheel swallowing storm drain
stopping at a storm grate I decide to step over the curb and stay on the sidewalk
then on future blocks on H Street NE offer up some hesitation
being extra careful with the Streetcar Tracks
maybe too careful... careful just the same... it is dry... wet tracks are more dangerous than dry street car tracks... if the tracks are hit at an angle things should be fine... the closer to 90 Degrees the better... I just do not want to be in a situation where a car forces me over where I have to cross the rail in a parallel fashion... it can be done... I can do it.. but I do not want to take the risk
better safe than sorry

the flow of traffic the flow of the lights is such that I catch Dave and Greg
I think I arrive at the H Street check point before them or at least the same time as them
I tell them the task
SELFIE WITH THE SWISS FLAG

as said... this is a Sister City Alleycat
DC and Bern Switzerland
the checkpoints are all Swiss Themed

then I am off
back onto H Street with the Street Cars and Street Car Tracks

other racers are approaching as we pull away
I yell out in support to the other racers as we pass going opposite directions 

the short manifest only has maybe 10 checkpoints including the finish
we have completed the majority of the manifest
the next couple of checkpoints are FAR
the next stop is the Lady Bird Johnson Memorial 

instinctively I point myself that way



earlier in the race... maybe rolling down Connecticut from the manifest pick up Bruce had asked about the Lady Bird Johnson Memorial
to me it was crystal clear
I told him... across the 14th Street Bridge
that did not help
Bruce asked... WHAT ARE THE CROSS STREETS?
not cross streets... on the Mount Vernon Trail I tell him
that did not register with Bruce

not my issue... we were no longer riding together
it shocked me that Bruce and Ron Cassie did not arrive at the H Street location as I was leaving
either way... I was moving on my own
pushing for the final checkpoints and then the finish

there was some work around due to some concert on The National Mall near the National Gallery
fencing prevents me from going the path I had intended
no worries... everyone would have to go around this
it just forced me to modify my route
no matter... moving on instinct not using a map or phone navigation
easy peasy
just get over to 15th Street and head past the Jefferson Memorial and across the 14th Street Bridge over the Potomac 
approaching the Jefferson Memorial in the separated Bike Path... fellow racer Stone heads my way... hmmm... what is his route... where is he headed\where is he going...  Stone reaches out his hand... at speed I give him a moving LOW FIVE!

at the Lady Bird Johnson Memorial I took a selfie with the sea gulls as the manifest instructed

Nate and Timmy slap hands as they pass in an Alleycat


selfie taken 
I try to use the map on the phone for the first time in the race
the phone is rarely part of my process
other than photos of course
the next stop was in Rosslyn 
although my time as a Field Bike Mechanic with Capital BikeShare increased my familiarity with Rosslyn and the layout of the streets
it was not clear exactly where this 19th and Moore Street corner would be

it is hot.. I am sweating... it is hard to work the phone
sweat drops off my helmet onto the screen of my phone as I try to enter an address and expand image so I can zoom in on the cross streets

I did know that Lynn Street feeds into Key Bridge and that things move in alphabetical order going up the hill... but the numbers?
Moore would be the next street after Lynn... but 19th Street?
was that closer to Key Bridge or closer to the Iwo Jima Memorial?


as I fumbled with the phone
more sweat drops soaked my phone such that I could not type in my information
as I fumbled with the phone Brian Clark showed up
asking... is this Lady Bird Johnson... to which I replied yes
then telling him to take a selfie with the sea gulls

I quiz Brian about the next checkpoint
Brian's answer is not clear either
Brian may be playing dumb
this is a race and Brian is not looking to assist his competition

sure he was generous with help in the beginning... but we are too close to the finish for him to risk forfeiting his advantage by giving me the information that I need

we each check our phones and then we are both on our bikes
Bigs is a veteran messenger 
Brian hosts Alleycats and Brian wins Alleycats
I figure I will follow him to the next checkpoint

we hammer down the Mount Vernon Trail
then pause at a split before the Memorial Bridge
as we could go left or stay straight
left would take us towards Iwo Jima 
right would take us to Rosslyn\Key Bridge

Where is this 19th and Moore Intersection?

again... with the sweat I can not get my phone to do what I need to do
I am soaked with sweat
there is nothing to dry my phone with
Brian gets his information and is on the bike
I hesitate... then I chase... maybe I can just follow Brian Clark to the final checkpoint

not in Brian's shadow
Brain not out of reach
still in sight
I follow behind

then... then it happens

not too concerned about the growing gap between Brian and myself... we pass Roosevelt Island... distance between us slightly increasing

then as I go up the ramp over the highway into Rosslyn it happens
all of a sudden I find myself riding with the right side of the bike path 
my handlebar\grip is grinding against the handrail on the right hand side of the path
what is happening? in a little bit of confusion I joke with myself about this
then fight to right myself
in an effort to correct myself I lean away from the right hand rail... I go from one rail on one side to the rail on the other side

I have crashed
I get up... try to throw my leg over my bike
I fall again
what is happening?
my legs are noodles
I can barely walk
my head is dizzy... my thinking is not clear
I am supporting myself with one hand on my bicycle and I have the railing under my armpit... cars zooming past on the highway under the pedestrian\bicycle overpass

I reflect on this moment
oh my goodness... am I having a heart attack
thoughts of veteran messenger John Dinn having a heart attack in an Alleycat I hosted rush through my head
in an effort to be logical I access things
no numbness in either arm
no pain in my chest
not a heart attack... but am I dying?
is this it?

I faintly cry out for help... but there is no one near to hear my whimper for help
I drag myself a few feet forward and then off the trail under a tree
in the shade I remove my helmet and cycling cap
chug some Gatorade and pull the bottle of Smart water from my pack and pour it over my head

okay... I am not dying
but what is happening
is this Heat Stroke?
more water over my head

I work on my breathing as I access how my body feels

photo of long time messenger Tony from a few years back



Long time DC Messenger Tony passes... and then Dave and Sleazy G
SleazyG aka Greg slows and asks if I am okay
I wave him on... he slows and stops...
I gather myself and wave him on

in my mind I have recovered
that moment has passed
I need to get on the bike and finish this race
I roll behind Greg to the intersection as independently we try to figure out where this 19th and Moore corner is

I go a few blocks up and a few blocks over
then backtrack a block
I see Melissa Fredrix and her little pink scooter
Melissa had handed out the manifests at the start at the Embassy of Switzerland
and 
here she is at the last check point 
hmmm... I hope no one went to this Checkpoint first 

I can see that Tony, Dave, and Greg have all just gotten their signatures and are on their way to the finish
oh man... oh oh man
I chase them down hill
we all get onto sidewalk on the right hand side of Key Bridge

in the classic courier fashion Tony takes Whitehurst Freeway
I chase Greg and Dave onto M Street
they are just about a block ahead... I can see their backs... but I am not focused on them... I am focused not the finish
through the light at Wisconsin... they go straight... not me... I go right... I take Wisconsin Avenue down hill towards the river

at the base of the hill onto K Street now known as Water Street under Whitehurst Freeway

we need to get to 2900 K 
or 
something to that effect
maybe 2910?

House of Sweden?
I thought this was a Swiss themed Alleycat?

either way... it is a race to the finish
I get to the address
where is everyone?
I take a selfie... then I look around
down the block I see a few people and a few bikes on the sidewalk

then I look the other way
Greg and DaveP are right behind me
I rush to the cluster of bikes
Bigs and Andrew... Andrew? is that right... a fast young kid
I recognize his face... but do not know him well
I hand in my manifest telling them I collapsed from heat stroke
to which they respond... and you got third

Andrew First... Brian Clark Second... Joel with Heat Exhaustion Third!

I look for some shade and try to tend to my body and this heat stroke 
or better yet
not Heat Stroke but slightly less... Heat Exhaustion!

Heat Exhaustion is Heat Stroke Light!

More racers roll in... everyone was pretty close
Amos and his girlfriend go to get some drinks... they grab me some Gatorade
in the shade I am still working to cool myself down

Melissa Fredrix arrives at the finish after the last racer comes through her Rosslyn checkpoint 
she can see the I am not right
Melissa's maternal instincts kick in
Melissa was really may savior in that moment
ice, water, and needed attention... 
cold beers tucked under my arm pits and cold beers tucked behind my knees
Melissa has me remove my shoes and then my socks in an effort to help me reduce my body temperature

color returns to my face 

I am not dying... I did not have a stroke...
but
Heat Exhaustion is no Joke!
foolishly... I think this is behind me
the symptoms return
as we do the awards\podium
my legs turn to noodles again

as our photo is taken I have my arms slung around the shoulders of the people on each of my side
they are holding me up
I need assistance to get to the bench and sit down

Bruce had driven and parked near the finish

Bruce offers me ride home... he asks if I can pedal to his car...  I can not

Melissa instructs that Bruce get his car and crank the AC
not just maternal instincts
Melissa had some good strategies for recovery
I see that Bruce has arrived and is parked int he shade cooling things down

Bruce takes me home
Bruce is excited about the COPA soccer tournament
I can not figure out how to get the game to play on the kids playstation (PS5) that is connected to the downstairs television 

Strava Map of the day


we check YOUTUBE
there are all these links
all the links are either commentary or video games depicting the game
it is frustrating
Bruce wants to watch the game... I want Bruce to stay... I am still anxious about my Heat Exhaustion episode 

Bruce hangs with me for a bit... I shower... I cool off... Bruce figures I am fine and he heads home... I appreciate the ride... I appreciate his assistance...

eventually... in no rush my son Grant gets home
I had called Grant at the finish... thinking he would rush to my aid
no dice rock slice
Grant has several bottles of Pediolyte and some Ice Cream
thanks Grant

excellent for recovery
excellent to cool down
and
I also needed to eat something... ice cream was better than nothing
in fact this Butter Pecan Ice Cream was AMAZING!

foolishly I had some of the cheese fondue at the finish
hot cheese in my belly?
exactly what I did not need... trying to cool my core... the cheese heated my core... the opposite of what I needed in that moment
my body rejected that
threw the cheese up in the kitchen when I got home 

in hindsight... finishing the race was a bad idea
how important was it to finish... how important are the results of an Alleycat?
had I gotten dizzy again and crashed in traffic?
well... that did not happen... luckily
no reason to go through the lists of "what ifs"




it took me a week to get back to normal
I was okay the next day... but not 100 Percent
I spent the week taking it easy
lots of AC and Fans
no exercise... tried to stay out of the heat...
no Uber food deliveries for me on the bike that week

here it is a few weeks later and I am still worried about the heat
still taking it easy... sort of...
as I am working on this Bicycle Themed photo project I am also doing some Uber Food Delivery on the bike
it is good to get out on the bike
also good to get out of the house
but I am not working full days in the heat... and it is hot
and then lastly
it is important that I get out and work instead of just sitting inside shaking a cup with my GoFundMe campaign 

as I work for Uber Eats on the bike I am sure to hydrate before... during and after...
when possible I grab ice from the soda machines at food pick ups
ice down the back of my jersey... and ice in the slots of my helmet
and
I am not working full days
working a few hours each day to make some cash to help stay afloat 


Donate and Share
or 
Ignore

Appreciate all the Support!


thanks PJ for another great race
Second Alleycat that PJ has hosted
both were excellent events
sure... they started late
as Dario says... Alleycats have their glitches
I have been slow to score my events as the racers come arrive at the finish
one time I was accused of spending too much time at The House of Georgia Avenue as racers collected at the finish of The Dead City Alleycat
but really... I felt it was necessary to show the sponsors my appreciation
nudge nudge wink wink... say no more... say no more... 

good day with friends
good day on the bike
bummed about the Heat Exhaustion
yet... stoked it was not worse
need to take it as a warning for future activities