this is a Race Report from a few years ago, just thought I would throw it in for some filler....

Sunday at the Races....
Extra Large City Bikes presence at this weekends race event
large in the respect that there were two City Bikes CLYDESDALES racing
making up 1/3 of the CLYDESDALE field

we loaded up the truck and headed out late for the Dan's race in Richmond, Camp Hilbert
the drive was moderate
the course was flat
not a bad combination
especially since the gwadz Boys are getting a late start on the race season
(marc's second race of the season, joel's first)
the races had us lined up in the queue long enough for some tension and some bonding with the other CLYDESDALES
it was the Series final, and points were being doubled that day
there was a 2 point differential between two of the riders there
it was clear that today was going to decide it all
Bill Davis was two points behind a muscle bound cyborg
Bill is a recent inductee to NCVC and a regular on the CLYDESDALE circuit
a rival on many levels
he was there to play
he had something to prove and something at stake
I false started at the countdown
and Bill was out of the gate like a jack rabbit
he was not going to pull any punches
so much for warming up the legs
before the gravel fed us into the single track I grabbed his back wheel and waited for him to slide into a groove
but no groove
he kept pushing it
we jammed through the course
with me breathing all the way in the usual Darth Vader fashion
having no previous experience here and no preride I was not sure what to expect
I just jammed behind Bill
he took his hands off the breaks and accelerated on each winding down grade
I muscled up each grade and got back on his tire
tried to pass
as he tried to prevent me from passing (proving to be a tactical failure, I should have passed to control the pace)
after the first lap or so I realized that I needed to let bill go and race my race
dropped off his tail and figured on reeling him in with endurance on lap three

just as I slipped into a groove
marc was on my tail
we kept up a good momentum
but marc sites were not on me
his sites were on bill and the finish
so with a little hesitancy I let marc pass
got onto his wheel
with all of the twists and turns
the roots and rocks
and the endless BMX dip-dee-doos I found it difficult to refuel
water in the camel back, and unattainable gatorade bottle in the downtube
all the time my wedding ring was sneaking down my finger
readjusting my ring (which I usually take off before rides and races)
thinking all the while, 2 out of 5 men loose their weddings
and I am soon to be one of the two
how would this of been explained?
"come on lisa it is a race.....I can get another ring...and the next one will be race worthy! I will get titanium!"
I hung onto marc's wheel for a bit
but he too drifted into the future
while I dangled along in the past
he too dropped me
in this game of cat and mouse I was feeling like a bit of a pussy
I felt like I could save what reserves I had for lap three
lap three came
my second wind did not
there was a slight push for the leaders
but it did not come fast enough
when I finally came within 20 yards of marc
I tailed for a little while
then he kicked in around a corner
not to be seen again until the finish
leaving a one two three finish, maybe a 20 second differential between each rider
Bill, Marc, and myself
NCVC, City Bikes, and City Bikes
with the City Bikes members taking 2nd and 3rd Bill was sure to get the series
he earned it
he raced well
he knew the course
he knew his competition
he did what he had to do


final thought
with any of these flat winding courses there was the usual 495 back up
timing and luck can come into play
there were several sections where I expended a great deal of energy trying to get around the trailing riders from race groups that set off before our pack
most people were helpful in allowing me to pass when the opportunity did arise
these are the same conditions that all of the racers had to deal with
well all of us with the exception of the ELITE PACK
when on my third lap I heard the pelleton coming
this gave me a burst
I pushed and looked for a good spot for them to pass
they were clearly faster
there was not good spot for them to pass
I was forced to step aside
I pulled over
bowed my head
averted my eyes as to make contact to the gods as they passed
thanked each and every one of them for letting me ride on the same course as them
got not so much as metaphoric spit in the face
"you are a lapped rider"
"out of the way"
"pull over"
for my pulling aside
not a thank you
not a word of respect
just jocked out attitude
not sure what to do
maybe next time they will have to work the pass just like any other racer
I was in a race
just as they were in a race
I had to deal with the elements of having to pass
at the next meeting I will have to ask the more experienced racer what the appropriate behavior is in such an event

it was a fun race
a good time was shared by all