A POST FROM THE NATIONAL BIKE SUMMIT THAT NEVER MADE THE PAGE: A visit to Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton

A few weeks back The League of American Bicyclist hosted The National Bike Summit on Capital Hill
this is basically the bicycle advocate's Interbike
this is the real deal
this is the the full three ring circus and Andy Clark is the master of ceremonies


Andy Clarke being the head of the League of American Bicyclists

sorry... starting to get off topic
getting distracted and at risk of putting a group into a category that we would call "clowns"

so no... I retract... before I regress I digress

or something to that effect

this is not a piece scripted for a magazine
this is a rant off the top of my head

not sure what I am going to say
not sure I am going to get all the information correct
allow me to start over...

a few weeks back I had the honor of representing MORE: The Mid Atlantic Off Road Enthusiasts as the DC Advocate at The National Bike Summit
now... this was not exactly Gwadzilla Goes to Washington
as I already live in Washington and I did not have a grand issue to bring in front of Congress


this was a week where I was going to listen and learn
it was my objective to attend as many events as I could and learn as much as I could about being and effective advocate
most of my "break away" seminars were directed by National Bike Summit Sponsor IMBA"The International Mountain Bike Association

which had me more focused on bicycles for recreation or sport rather than transportation
yet issues that need attention, understanding, and advocacy

it was a serious collection of major players in the bicycle world
Ray LaHood the head of the Department of Transportation spoke
okay... I am trying too hard
there is no way that I can give a synopsis of all that happened and everyone who spoke

sure I could drop Blumenauer's name... but you will have to go elsewhere for a full report

the week had a rhythm
an intentional beginning-middle-and end

no... the Congressional Bike Ride would not actually constitute the climatic end but more of a symbolic or even actual end to The National Bike Summit
the culmination of all that went on earlier that week in the effort to aid people in becoming more effective advocates climaxed with meeting with various elected officials

people were in town from all over the country and there was a logical assignment for various advocates to visit certain Senators or Congressmen


being from Washington, DC I was assigned to a small group that would meet with Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton

it was a small gaggle of people
Erik

I lack the brain power to script this now
too many details are not coming to surface
more on this later


Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton
http://www.norton.house.gov/


I NEVER FINISHED THIS... I NEVER WILL
BUT I AM HITTING PUBLISH AND POST JUST THE SAME