The Dead City Alleycat is DONE! The day of reckoning has come and gone... the day is behind us... it went well... but not without its glitches...


The Dead City Alleycat 2021
Ghosts of the DC Streets

the days leading up to the event were filled with dark clouds and threat of rain
the day prior...  there was heavy rain all day 
then the day of things got better
it was clear and cool all day long

so... the weather worked in our favor
it was a beautiful day to meet up in the park and then go for a bike ride


the course demanded a long list of volunteers to run SCORED Checkpoints and to HANDOFF Pick Ups at various Checkpoints...

in the weeks prior to the event I had a long list of volunteers and the course was all set
days leading up to the event and my long list of volunteers started to crumble

it was stressful... it gave me anxiety
there was fear of having to alter the manifest
there was dread that I would have to remove some of the Challenges that I thought made this race such a great event 

well... true... a long list of volunteers had conflicts that prevented them from helping out on this day
I get that... yet it still it gave me anxiety
which showed... I was anxious... I was uptight... I was on the edge of being angry...
it was tough... but I had to be strict

I may have raised my voice a little

it was clear that I could not just expect people to "show up" and then give assignments
I had to have people sign in blood saying that they would be there and work these check points 

with my reduced number of volunteers I reworked my set up
I got everyone lined up

many people were wonderful about helping out
everyone was good with showing up and making things happen
it could not have happened without them

but there were glitches...
I would have liked a few more volunteers... so that people at Check Points were not out there alone...
one Check Point was SABOTAGED - the wheat paste flyers were removed
what else... what else...

really... it may not have run like a clock... but it ran pretty well... 

THANKS TO ALL THE VOLUNTEERS!!!

I am not sure if I mentioned what I mentioned
but I got sidetracked
the notion that the volunteers did not have fun was weighing on me
seeing some of the photos

IT LOOKS LIKE EVERYONE WAS HAVING FUN!!!

the journey is the destination
and this race was definitely a journey