Flat Stanley and the Political Divide...



years ago I got a letter from my nephews in Pittsburgh
actually the letter was from my then sister in-law

the letter contained a cut out of Flat Stanley
along with the request to take Flat Stanley around the city

not sure when Flat Stanley came to be
Flat Stanley may be from a different era
just as I am not aware of the tradition of Elf on the Shelf
I had no idea who Flat Stanley was or what Flat Stanley was about

a quick Google
and it was all explained to me

I took the Flat Stanley request to a serious level
I took Flat Stanley with me to work at CBS NEWS
as... at the time I worked as the Help Desk\Desktop Support for the Washington Offices of CBS News
this seemed like a really fun opportunity for Flat Stanley
then also for the students in my nephews' class 

maybe I went overboard...

durning my work day then after work I took Flat Stanley around the city
I snapped photos of Flat Stanley doing this and doing that
we did some much that Flat Stanley actually fell from a sculpture at the Hirschhorn Museum
which may be foreshadowing of my future job doing Desktop Support at the Smithsonian

the shots were fun... the shots were clever
I even created the cast for Flat Stanley and wrote up a story about Flat Stanley's visit

then lastly...
being at CBS News I shared my Flat Stanley project with a coworker friend of mine
my buddy Thomas Tillman offered to take Flat Stanley to meet the President
now... Flat Stanley was not able to actually meet the President
but... Flat Stanley was able to witness Obama taking off from the White House lawn in Marine One
it all seemed really cool

after taking way more photos than were requested
I printed off an assortment of images and mailed this stuff off to my nephews

I never heard back...

there was no thank you note
there was no phone call with a story about how the school responded

then later... I think I understood things better

ah... the country's cultural divide

I did not realize that my family through marriage was so anti-Obama
but they were...
to their credit... 
I think the responded how I would have responded to a photo of Don Trump
unimpressed... uninterested... 

while I thought it was the coolest Flat Stanley photoshoot ever!

ah... the cultural divide
the political divide

when will it end?
it is not healthy... it is not productive...




Barrack Obama boards Marine One
Flat Stanley is there to witness that moment

too cool
other cool photos if you click that blue link above