In the Spirit of Bike Arlington!

 


Bike Arlington was generous enough to lend some support to Lincoln themed President's Day Alleycat that I hosted...

there were prize bags ten deep...
and then some free floating SWAG for a few others

Bike Arlington had been generous to offer up some head and tail neoprene style lights, some cool lights that go on the wheel, and then some reflective leg bands for The Dead City Alleycat that I hosted in the fall
so... when planning this event I reached out to David of Bike Arlington again
and well... David and Bike Arlington were generous enough to get together a back of SWAG that included lights, leg bands, and sunglasses!

HELL YES!

so last night when getting home on the bike in the rain I saw my neighbors across the street
the mother called out a hello
then her older child who may be 9 or so peeked around their parked car

the had just seen a cyclist in all gray
no lights
the mother felt I was a great example
and well... I was
I was a great example of THE EXTREME and THE ABSURD 

I do not normally ride in HEAD TO TO HIGH VIS
and I expressed that to the family
that a helmet and lights are part of my normal routine
this is over the top and not everyday

so today... In the Spirit of Bike Arlington I dropped off two sets of head and tail lights, then also two reflective leg bands on the neighbor's porch
often their bikes are stored on the porch... had hoped to just put the lights on the bikes
removed the strip to make the lights active... as I have found that the strip does not always pull all the way out and you have to disassemble the light system... as I had to do with two of the four of these lights
but not when I took the light out of the neoprene and then pulled the plastic tab from between the batteries... then put the neoprene sleeve back over the then working lights

yes...
Thanks Bike Arlington
LIGHTS EQUAL LIFE
the lights that you passed off to me are being passed off to a number of previously lightless cyclists
making these riders more visible and hopefully more safe
Appreciate the Support!
Appreciate all that Bike Arlington Does!

again...




KNOG also showed some support for The Dead City Alleycat in the fall...
but a SNAFU in shipping got the package held up
they re-sent things
but not in time for the fall
so... I had the KNOG LIGHTS for prizes for The President's Day Alleycat
so... the top Four Racers got KNOG Lights

then... other prize bags include lights from BIKE LAW
the DC Bike Law legal representative, Peter Wilborn, is one of my oldest friends
my friendship with Peter dates back to high school
Peter is a life long cyclist and has moved his legal prowess to become the founder of Bike Law

Bike Law is a collective of lawyers all over the United States who represent cyclists and pedestrians who have been wrongly injured by others... ie "accidents"

Bike Law sent out a box of Bike Law hats, Waterbottles, tail lights, and stickers
filled prize bags with Bike Law items and other SWAG




so many racers walked away with lights

AGAIN!

LIGHTS EQUAL LIFE!
GET A LIFE

to be a safe cyclist...
there is a bare minimum
make yourself visible
do not hide on the bike
make sure the car and truck drivers see you 
don't expect the pedestrians to see you

lights and reflectors are a great option
I like reflective stickers\tape
then lights
always lights!