The Ruff News Time Trial... a summer tradition that was known to me... but not really ever understood as I had never experienced it...

 


although I brought the camera... I did not snap any photos to tell the tale

Ruff News Time Trial
a post work BBQ and Bike Race hosted by DC Bike Messengers for Messengers and others has been going on for years...
well, actually... I do not know the history

not sure when it started...
not sure if it faded and was brought back
but
it is here and it is super cool 

so...
for years and years I would race my bicycle at the Wednesdays at Wakefield events in Northern Virginia
always felt that it was like a mountain bikers version of a summer softball week 
well... this Ruff News Time Trial is similar but different

after work on Thursdays in Rock Creek Park in Washington, DC people meet at Picnic Grove #28 for food and fun
there is a five and a half time trial loop

starts and finishes at the BBQ spot
the route goes up hill towards the Nature Center
passes the Nature Center
does a left hand button hook to head back
takes a sharp left that sends racers towards the Park Police Station
then a sprint along side the creek on a slight grade downhill
ending with a sharp right turn either on the road or the bike path to get to the start finish

short and sweet
a leg burner the whole way
either climbing or sprinting 
attacking each and every inch along the way

times are kept
shit is talked 

fun is had 

good times

thank you Andy Zalan and April for hosting 
Andy runs the time clock and handles race specifics
while April caters to the stomach side of things
very kind how April provides... thanks April
thanks Andy

those two are quite a team
Andy throws a variety of events 
and April is what Andy has called his Alleycat Angel
she assists and lends a hand where ever she can
in this case...  working the grill and pushing food on people in a Wonderful motherly sort of way

my time on the course was nothing to boast about
still battling with some injuries
the Achilles injury was years ago... but still recovering
then also
when working for Capital BikeShare I injured my legs and had to return to work so never had time off to heal 

which has me at a percentage of what I should be...

then also my bike selection
riding an old cyclocross bike with flat bars, one by gearing, and large tires
the upright position and the small front ring make it a comfortable bike to spin 
but it is not a sprinter 
it has a low top speed

when I race two weeks ago I had a chain skipping problem 
resolved that stiff link
last night I had a SNAFU or two
dropped the chain which forced me to stop and lose some time
then also
I was leading Ron Cassie on his first time trial experience 
slowed for him so he would not miss the turns
and we almost crashed into each other on a left hand turn

GOOD TIMES

THANKS ANDY!
THANKS APRIL!

great seeing so many people from the DC Bike Family!