Summer... Sweet Corn... Water Melon... Steamed Blue Crabs... and Fort Reno Concert Series... that is Summer in DC.

this is classic... wanted to share some photos
wanted to share some words
started to ramble
traveled down a number of tangents... not sure how cohesive this set of rants is
need to get back onto the Photo Book Project

this Blog Post does not merit a re-read and edit
gonna just hit Publish and Post

ideally the images and the links will tie it all together

too many subculture references that are vague and bring up more questions

to me Fort Reno is already defined
to the reader? what do the two words Fort Reno mean?
maybe a DC Historian would define it differently
focusing more on The Civil War, Water Plant, and the history of Segregation in Washington DC

this is not a historical document
this is a blog

scan this... look at the photos
chase the links
get on with your day

last night I skipped the Ruff News Time Trial in Rock Creek Park
what is the Ruff News Time Trial?
no time to explain and each and every thing

bummer I will miss the Time Trial...
summer is winding down... not sure how many more Thursday Time Trial  gatherings there will be with the bike messengers in Rock Creek Park
bummed not because I am trying to PR on the Time Trial course
but rather... because of the gathering and getting together with friends

April on the grill
Andy Zalan is the Time Keeper 
people are mixing and mingling
chilling after work
bikes and beers
frisbee with friends
I brought Kan Jam a few weeks in a row
WHAT IS KAN JAM?
WHAT HAS TO BE EXPLAINED TO THE READER?
EVERYTHING???
the Kan Jam games were full of smack talking and laughs
and yes...
the Time Trial Course with all the bike racing has its competitions as well
alas no... there was a Thursday Night Conflict

Fort Reno
last night was the last chance to get a taste of Fort Reno
last concert in the Fort Reno summer concert series
Fort Reno was on my radar
Fort Reno was my plan

if I were only go to one show at Fort Reno this summer
I wanted to catch the Messthetics 

not sure... maybe something got rained out
there appeared to be a modification to the schedule
an addition
certainly I would have noticed that it was a three band event with a double headline act in there - either way
Bedmaker would be in performing on the final night...

BEDMAKER? YES! BEDMAKER!

Amanda Mackaye's most recent music project

Amanda sang for Desiderata... Amanda... never mind...
a cut and paste of a Washington Post Article will tell her story better than I could about who Amanda is and what she is involved in
I would somehow turn it back to me

Who is Amanda Mackaye?
Amanda Mackaye in The Washington Post
or
if that is not how you like to get your information
here is a Podcast with Toby Morse
Toby Morse Catches up with and reminisces with Amanda Mackaye

what am I saying... too much rambling?
not sure of Amanda's title when talking about Fort Reno... I guess if I reread that article her title at Fort Reno would be explained
assuming that the article even talks about Amanda and Fort Reno

I think Amanda IS The Fort Reno Concert Series
what does that mean?

well... booking bands... working with NPS... working with the community... social media... fund raising... t-shirts... does she cook the cake? coordinating with the sound tech
etc. etc. etc. 

it sounds like Fort Reno has a staff of many people
maybe it is a 20 person team with interns
sounds like a lot of work 
now... I do not know what the title is
nothing happens on its own
just like OZ
there is often someone behind the curtain
I may not know what Amanda Mackay's title is
but I know that she is the person behind the curtain at Fort Reno
and also
her band Bedmaker is playing
HELL YES!
I Want to See Bedmaker!

no need to check the concert schedule you missed it
like when the Metro section tells a story about the greatest Tiki Bar in DC history... how it was like a museum in there... who did what there... and of course... it closed on Wednesday

well... Fort Reno Concert Series rolled up their speakers and are shutting down for the season

Fort Reno is Done

last night was the last show of the season
and it was awesome
although you do not need to check the schedule of shows that you missed
you could check out their awesome t-shirts and support the not for profit concert series with a donation or a t-shirt purchase
I wore my Cicada Fort Reno Shirt
I did not join for the photo of 1,000 Shirts 
 

I brought the dog
I brought a frisbee
I brought water
I brought water for myself
I brought water for the dog
it was hot that day
it was yet to cool down at 7 PM meet up Time 


wonderfully timed
just how I expected it
Bedmaker was going to play to the setting sun
well played Amanda
well played
Amanda even paused between songs
referencing the sunset in the distance
and how the setting sun drops and then as the sun drops there are these long shadows of the people
this is true
the sunset in the distance is wonderful
I know this park
not just from the Fort Reno Concert Series
a history that is not mine to tell
a concert series I have been attending since high school
not every show
lots of shows
lots of wonderful shows
lots of memories of friends
me being me
there has also been a fair amount of frisbee
just as I had a bag of water for me and the dog
I had two frisbees in the bag as well
two frisbees... a Nikon with a lens I got off Buy Nothing and a body that was gifted to me from a friend in the local mountain bike ride\race community
and a spare shirt
a 9:30 Club 202 Shirt
a good answer to only having one Fort Reno Shirt
I feared frisbee before bands and breaking a sweat
so I had a second shirt for comfort sake
the shirt also serves to offer cushion to the camera
as the bag is tossed around
Fort Reno does bring back so many memories
semi recently my boys went to Alice Deal Middle School and also Wilson now Jackson Reed High School
so... there were drop offs and pick ups
often if I had the time
usually at pick up after rowing
I would bring the dog
so... the dog and I have been here many times without there being any activity not the stage
I guess I have the photo so I will share it... and then a few others
no photos of Fugazi playing at Fort Reno
but I was at that show
just as I saw a few of the songs by Fugazi at the Folklife Festival
these are the things are are part of DC in the summer
Fort Reno Concert Series and the Smithsonian Folklife Festival 
that photo collage below is not from last night
that is Ian with the Evens a few years ago
it was a good show
The Evens are good... I recommend them... and not just so you can say you saw Ian from Fugazi or Ian from Minor Threat
the music is good
you might like it
back to Fort Reno
oh... wait
is that Kamala Harris at HR Records on Kennedy Street in NW DC?
that is just blocks from my house
that is an amazing album
I have it framed on bedroom wall next albums by The Ramones, The Clash, Jimmy Cliff (The Harder They Come compilation\sountrack really not a Jimmy Cliff album per se)
that is a MEME
she did not buy a Minor Threat album
but the image below is real
Kamala Harris did by a Nation of Ulysses record
ironically or not ironically titled
13 Point Program to Destroy America
not to confuse anyone
as I am sure no one has gotten this far
which is fine
but it is a joke
that is not Project 2025
that is a image of Kamala Harris actually on Kennedy Street coming out of HR Records
GTS
Google That Shit
Enough with the Links
if you chase the links you leave Gwadzilla behind
do chases down the Fort Reno Link
do buy yourself a t-short
research the Ice Cream reference 
that shirt is similar to Name Three Songs
you will want to know the reference
or it could be awkward conversation with strangers who know the reference 
yes...
before I share some photos of the Mesthetics
I will say a few more things about Fort Reno
not only is this a great place for me to walk the dog when picking up or dropping the kids off at school
this is also the location of DCMTB's Cyclocross Clinics
before there was DCCX
DCMTB hosted Cyclocross Clinic's at Fort Reno
I do not want to put myself in the story
instead I will say Lil Belgians
why did we not have Cyclocross Clinics for the Lil Belgains
no... I jest
the cyclocross clinics were awesome
I think it was five weeks
one of those was woman specific
the clinics evolved from a little more than meet ups with a barrier 
to clinics with coaches
Mike Birner, C3's... name slipping me... I will have to Google that and then also Arley Kemler
I am botching the names
no time to GTS
sorry for the misspelling 
it is something I struggle with 
a search on the Finder and those photos come up
I do not dig any further
that gets the point across
oh... 
the Cicada
before the bands played
the park was filled with the sound of summer in DC
the cicadas are out in full force
in the tree canopy it is intense
like a natural techno song
I love the sound of the cicada
it is the sound of summer in DC
so... maybe I should have a photo of the Slickie Boys
as the Slickie Boys were sort of the "house band" when I went to Fort Reno in High School
it seemed like they opened or closed every summer
they were cool
but we were younger
we were maybe more excited by the bands played by some of they younger performers
the Slickie Boys may have been old when I first saw them
really old... maybe mid or late 20's
not sure... I just know I looked at them and thought
they are cool for some old guys
which brings things to present day
the band to see
the band you missed
a band that I missed
a band you might want to see 
Birthday Girl
this is a photo of Birthday Girl at Fort Reno last summer
Birthday Girl is band comprised of three girls from Wilson now Jackson Reed High School
two of the young woman are punk rock royalty
the daughters of some musicians from the dc hardcore punk scene
that is just a side story
it is about Birthday Party
the Birthday Park sound and message
what is their message?
I am 56... my guess is the songs are primarily about life in their world
I do not know... I did not explicate their songs
although I did enjoy their sound and their presence
beyond that
I dig that there is a "new wave" of DC Punks making music
in the crowd last night I ran into a number of people who brought their children
I brought my children to some shows
some kids are more into it than others
my kids were young and just running around
some of these kids are musicians themselves and are here for musical entertainment and inspiration
I think seeing other young people is no just entertaining but also inspirational
not to say that this band is for kids
but... I think I am saying it is cool to support them
but maybe more cool to turn kids who might like them towards them
not sure how to do that
anyone every hear of Rhizome?
yeah... exactly
it is underground
it is not for mass consumption
Fort Reno also carries the DC counter culture vibe
this is not a Nationals Game at Yards Park
but there is an ice cream truck
no beer, drugs, or glass containers
there are more rules
mostly common sense
dog are welcome
Didg has been many times
not all dogs care for the crowds or the music
my dog likes to be with me
so he is okay with it
it may not be on his top ten list of things to do in DC
yet he agrees that it is better than sitting at home
way better
Below... photos of Birthday Girl at Fort Reno last summer
check them out
or as said
if your kids... you know what I said
Birthday Girl DC

oh...
that tower is iconic
so Iconic that my buddy Elliot has a tattoo of that tower
maybe I can do a Gwadzilla Minute with him and get a video of it
talked with Elliot after talking to Taylor
said something to Taylor of DCCX 
Taylor pointed me to Elliot
as Elliot will be taking over as Crosshairs Cyclings DCCX Race Director
quite a title... I just made that up
Taylor has done it for a number of... you do not know what DCCX is?
GTS?
oh... you do not know what cyclocross is
so... cyclocross clinics fell on deaf ears
DCCX at the AFRH
in its 15th or maybe 16th year
niche... cycling subculture of sorts
cyclocross racing

finally
the bottom of the page
here is a link to my Instagram
Gwadzilla on Instagram
too many words
too much information
so much stuff for the rabbit hole
yes... I know
the Blog is Blah
but... I enjoy the process
and
I enjoy the journal.. for myself
the photo book project is images from the blog
now...
the Messthetics at Fort Reno  
I posted a few more than these photos on Instagram
but if you go there
you will miss the other posts on the Gwadzilla Blog

The Messthetics
instrumental three piece
some guy... not sure what planet he comes from
this lead guitar player has some serious talent
gets fancy... wanders... like a horn player in a jazz band
actually
like a guitar player in a jazz band
and then
the rhythm section from Fugazi
the bass and drums have a powerful flow that ties it all together
it is really quite good
I like the Messthetics 
even if it is more of a jazz band than a punk band
chase them down
buy their records
go to their next show
The Messthetics 

Messthetics on Instagram