RACE REPORT: MoCo Epic (not a race... a ride)

 


RACE REPORT: MoCo Epic (not a race... a ride)
a few days have passed since the MoCo Epic
as with any "race report" the sooner after the event the greater potential of recalling details
details are basically a blur
but... we will see what I can bring up

in the weeks leading into the MoCo Epic I was planning on volunteering at an Aid Station with the mountain bike Club\Team that I am a part of DCMTB
then... as we got really close to the event... a week maybe days away I saw a call out on Facebook
Michael Winnings was looking for people to volunteer to do Sweep\Course Demarking 
hmmm... 
this sounded interesting to me
I could volunteer and I could ride 

so... I abandoned ship 
stepped away from the notion of hang at Aid Station 2 with DCMTB
but instead 
I would volunteer to do Sweep... while only having a rough idea of what "sweeping" would require

made contact with Michael Winnings
offered up my assistance 
Michael was overjoyed to get another volunteer
we agreed that I would volunteer to do Sweep of the 70 Mile Loop
which would be 26 miles of Sweeping and Demarking 


since I had never done "sweep" before... I was anxious to know more about my assignment
there was a long set of emails and pdfs with details
but the details lacked a few specifics
the instructions had me starting at Aid Station 6 on Riffe Road at 2:15
but it was not entirely clear what to do about starting
there was mention of volunteers signing in at what is known as "The Mother Ship"

The Mother Ship is the large white tent not the fields near the Soccer Plex by the pump track 
this is the Start\Finish and the registration tent as well as the location of the post event party spot

but...
where would I park?
how would I get to Aid Station Six?
I would want to be near my car when I finished... would my sweeping take me back to the finish?

I sent some emails around with some questions
Julie, Michael, and the other 70 Mile Sweep riders all eventually responded

in short... YES... park at the the Start Finish and then RIDE to Aid Station 6
then... there were several recommendations on how to ride there
Pepco Power Lines or the road would be the most immediate way to get there
Petr, one of the 70 Mile Sweepers, would be riding the 40 Mile Loop before his volunteer session
after some thought and discussion
it was determined that I would meet up with another 70 Miler Sweep volunteer to ride the SRT to the Aid Station... Chris said he would hit the SRT and do a "chill ride" to get there

we agreed to meet at the Sign In table after noon for a 12:30 departure

the day of arrived
I threw a bag of gear in the car and the bike on the rack
made the short drive from DC to Germantown
arrived at the Soccer Plex to see the MoCo Epic in Full effect
RIDERS WERE ON THE COURSE
the day was very much happening

it was simple enough
I met and signed in with Julie
Chris was at the start 
we mixed we mingled
then I suited up to ride

Chris and I entered Schaeffer Farms... took the White Loop towards Black Rock Mill where we would jump on the SRT 
Chris and I chatted as we rode
Chris and I are roughly the same age and know some of the same people
both growing up in the area 

when we hit the SRT I was super stoked about the trail conditions
amused but not agitated by Chris' notion of a "chill pace"
Chris is fast and fit... and was leading at a healthy pace
we knocked out the SRT at roughly half the time that Michael Winnings had estimated for our ride time
which got us at the Aid Station with plenty of time to socialize, refuel, and wait for the other two volunteers to arrive at AS6 

time passed...
I started to get excited... I wanted to start rolling...
but Boomer and Petr had yet to arrived
when it hit 2 PM we wanted to call the riders
as it got closer to 2:15 we started to reach out
sending text messages to the other volunteers and then Julie our Volunteer coordinator

it was confirmed that Petr had signed in early and was doing his 40 mile pre-volunteer ride
and then... as it would turn out Boomer had signed in... left out to ride to Aid Station Six but got turned around and found himself at the Start Finish... deciding then that he would not volunteer... okay... sure... fine... 

Chris and I wondered if we would be doing this task as two people instead of four...
but shortly after learning that Boomer was dropping out of the game, Petr showed up
I know Petr... we have ridden together before... I know Petr and Petr's brother Martin... they are both super cool guys... with strong athletic backgrounds... 

We chilled and allowed Petr to rest and refuel... Petr and Chris had both done Sweep\Demarking Before
I was the virgin
I would be tagging along and learning from them as we rode 

We discussed the routine.... the idea of Demarking and then also how to deal with riders we encountered along the way...

The Aid Station was supposed to cut off riders as the hit this station... sending slower 70 milers to finish on the 55 miler as we would be taking down arrows.... there were also a handful of 100 Milers... I think they had a different set of rules... but still we factored them into the planning


on the bikes and up Riffe Road 
pulling down markers (Arrows) from he 70 Miler
passing the entrance for the SRT 
then further up the road we took a right hand turn into the woods

Petr and Chris lead
the pace was not "chill"
the pace was "fast and fluid"
the trails were at their best
all fallen logs and limbs from summer storms had been removed
all over growth had been trimmed back
the trails were their SUNDAY BEST 

the system was simple
the lead rider would stop for the Arrows
following riders would pass the person stopped to de-mark 
stopping at the next arrow

we got a rhythm 

this method of three riders allowed us all to "get our ride on"


there were moments of conversation as we rode
or when we pulled arrows near each others 

I made sure to never lose sight of the riders ahead of me
for fear that the arrows would be pulled down and I would miss a turn
it did not play out that way

we rode the power lines and then connected ourselves to the MoCo South Trails
Muddy Branch and the Bluff Trails

once in the woods
the markers were few and far between
only when NECESSARY 
which again... allowed for some good riding

days prior I had race in an Alleycat
Wednesday was 10-9
Messenger Appreciation Day
I meet up with a bunch of bike couriers and did this messenger race
managed to land on the podium
finished second 

Race Report from the Messenger Appreciation Day Alleycat

 legs felt good
but honestly
a few years ago I tore my achilles
I am stilll recovering from that injury and just started mountain biking again
been sort of "off the bike"
just starting to feel okay again 




more Alleycat racing than Mountain Bike Riding these days 



it was an amazing day for a mountain bike ride
perfect day for the MoCo Epic
it had been brisk and cool in the days leading up into the day
this day was a little warmer
maybe in the low 80's
no need for a jacket
a three quarter jersey over a regular jersey 
with long xc cargo shorts over bib shorts worked for this day

I had a backpack and a "feed bag" on the handlebars as part of my tools for the day
except... I misunderstood the recommendation of "feed bag"
I had a bike packing "feed bag"
when the recommendation of a feed bag was more of a roadie Tour de France style fee bag
which I have
but foolishly did not bring 

no worries... the backpack worked well enough 
eventually I would work a system where I would put the arrows under my external jersey between the bibs and the skin tight jersey
giving me a bit of an appearance of a massive belly as the Arrows stacked up


as we rode we pulled into Aid Stations
at the Aid Stations were were welcomed
as the SWEEP would be the last rider through 
these volunteers could pack it up and head home 
we also would be able to drop off the Course Markers
Arrows and Wooden Stakes 
allowing us to not have to carry the bulk of things all the way to the finish 

this system worked out well

as said... 
the trails were amazing
there were not too man riders in need of SWEEPING
we nipped at their heels and they all picked up the pace and pulled away
their riding pace and our stopping for arrows and markers made it such that they were able to ride ahead  of us 

except for one 18 year old kid doing the 70 milers
at one point were on this kids tail
his pace was slower than ours
so we rode behind him at his pace
he was moving good 
he was not cramping 
he was not bonking
he was just moving at a slower pace

my method was different than Chris and Petr 
rather than ride on the kid's wheel at his pace
I would take my time pulling my arrow
let them pull ahead for a bit
hit a section of trail with a little flow
then catch the trio of rider
and then repeat the process

I started to get tired
my legs were freeing it
so... the kid's pace was fine for a bit
I rode on is tail... trying to be supportive
eventually I would pass the kid and just make my way to the next aid station
figure I could rest and refuel before the the final miles to the finish 

at Black Rock Mile I was feeling it
36 miles of single track would be a solid enough effort for the day
we had to pull ALL the ARROWS from the final miles of trail

I was pretty much spent at this time
my ability to cleanly pull the arrows off the trees was gone
I damaged some arrows as my fatigue displayed itself

we laughed as we rode together and looped through Shaeffer Farms
more twisting and more turning

I was ready for the finish

we regrouped when we hit the Soccer Plex fields 
so we could hit the Finish together

the grassy field that was filled with efficiently parked cars was nearly vacant
my cars which was one of the last cars to park was alone on field 
only a handful of cars remained 

sure enough... more markers to to grab in the final miles
we rolled into the Finish and Rang the Bell

Bruce Buckley Snapped a photo at the finish as we ended our volunteer duties 
the band was till playing 
and all sorts of volunteers remained
in the volunteer tent there was food and there was beer 

| created a big plate of pasta
my eyes were bigger than my stomach
I was able to consume the beer but my stomach was not interested in the pasta
my gut was filled with all the energy gels from the Aid Stations

I enjoyed mixing and mingling with all the remaining Volunteers
although the masses had already left for home
there was still plenty of socializing to be had 
then also
there was a DCMTB teammate still on the course
we all were waiting for Shawn Smith to finish the 100 Miler
even the MoCo Police Had to stay until the final racer pulled in

this was fine... I was in no real rush to get home 

my buddy George... also DCMTB was present
George had marked the trails that I de-marked
George is one of my main riding partners
for a spell the course we volunteered to mark\demark was our Sunday Ride trails of choice
George was waiting of Shawn
and then also
George had been drinking as was ecstatic about my arrival
this would give him a ride home and he could leave his car and not drive home drunk
mature decision George
I respectfully will drive you home
taking George home to Bethesda would not slow my path to home by much 

I would get to my excited dog
a mishap of an Uber Eats order with my son Dean would have a Vietnamese dinner waiting for me
BONUS SCORE
PHO!
Pho and Spring Rolls!
my stomach did not turn that down

the caffeine and the other Energy drinks would make it such that I would not crash until hours after midnight

GOOD TIMES
THUMBS UP!
THE MOCO EPIC WAS EPIC!

Thank You MORE for all you do for the local mountain bike community!

and...
if you read this far
AMAZING
not sure if I will proof this
I need to get out and do some UBER EATS on the Bike

Currently "between jobs"

working on several bicycle themed photo books
DC Bike Messenger 2004- 2024 being the most interesting\important

Donate and Share or Ignore
my GoFundMe Campaign